Umar married a total of 9 women in his lifetime and had 14 children, 10 sons and 4 daughters.
The details are as follow:
- Wife: Zaynab bint Mazh'un (at the time of Jahiliyyah )
- Wife: Umm Kulthum bint Jarwila Khuzima (divorced)
- Son: Ubaidullah ibn Umar
- Son: Zayd ibn 'Umar
- Wife: Quraybah bint Abi Umayyah al-Makhzumi (divorced, married by Abdulrehman ibn Abu Bakr)
- Wife: Umm Hakim bint al-Harith ibn Hisham (after her husband, a former ally of 'Umar and a companion Ikrimah ibn Abi-Jahl was killed in Battle of Yarmouk, later divorced but al-Madaini says he did not divorce her)
- Daughter: Fatima bint 'Umar
- Wife: Jamilah bint Ashim ibn Thabit ibn Abi al-Aqlah (from the tribe of Aws)
- Son: Asim ibn Umar
- Wife: Atikah bint Zayd ibn Amr ibn Nifayl (cousin of Umar and former wife of Abdullah ibn Abu Bakr married 'Umar in the year 12 AH and after 'Umar was murdered, she married az-Zubayr ibn al-Awwam)
- Son: Iyaad ibn 'Umar
- Wife: Umm Kulthum bint 'Ali (the daughter of Ali ibn Abi Talib).
- Son: Zayd ibn 'Umar, (famously known as Ibnul Khalifatayn; the son of the two Caliphs i.e Umar and Ali).
- Daughter: Ruqayyah bint 'Umar
- Wife: Luhyah (a woman from Yemen (Yaman) who's marital status with 'Umar is disputed, al-Waqidi said that she was Umm Walad, meaning a slave woman)
- Son: Abdulrahman ibn 'Umar (the youngest Abdulrehman while some say the middle Abdulrehman from Luhyah)
- Wife: Fukayhah (as Umm Walad)
- Daughter: Zaynab bint 'Umar (the smallest child of 'Umar from Fukayhah)
Another son is, az-Zubayr ibn Bakkar, called Abu Shahmah, though from which wife is unknown.
Read more about this topic: Umar
Other articles related to "family":
... After the German invasion of Poland in 1939 the family holdings in that country were gone, and all income from there ceased ... The family became destitute ... A friend of the family, a Russian sculptor, Naum Gabo, took Michael under his wing, so to speak ...
... on the side, and struggled to support his family ... Irving found it necessary to take to the streets to help support his family ... the five pennies that constituted his first day's receipts, his contribution to the family budget.” His mother took jobs as a midwife, and three of his sisters worked wrapping cigars ...
... Emily Smith had strong family ties to Chelsea, which centered around the church, in which her family took an active role ... In 1895 the Armstrong family moved from their brownstone row house at 347 West 29th Street to another similar house at 26 West 97th Street in the Upper West Side ... to improve his health the Armstrong family moved in 1902 from the Upper West Side into a house at 1032 Warburton Avenue in Yonkers, which overlooked the Hudson river ...
Famous quotes containing the word family:
“The strongest bond of human sympathy, outside of the family relation, should be one uniting all working people, of all nations, and tongues, and kindreds.”
—Abraham Lincoln (18091865)
“O God, and the wedding! All her family and her friends
and only a handful of mine all scroungy and bearded
just wait to get at the drinks and food”
—Gregory Corso (b. 1930)
“The family is the test of freedom; because the family is the only thing that the free man makes for himself and by himself.”
—Gilbert Keith Chesterton (18741936)