More definitions of "strong":
- (adj): Strong and sure.
Example: "Gave a strong pull on the rope"
- (adj): Having a high alcoholic content.
- (adj): Having strength or power greater than average or expected.
Example: "A strong radio signal"; "strong medicine"; "a strong man"
- (adj): Freshly made or left.
- (adj): Able to withstand attack.
Synonyms: impregnable, inviolable, secure, unassailable, unattackable
- (adj): Not faint or feeble.
Example: "A strong odor of burning rubber"
- (adj): Having or wielding force or authority.
- (adj): Of verbs not having standard (or regular) inflection.
Example: "'sing' is a strong verb"
Famous quotes containing the word strong:
“Our science has become terrible, our research dangerous, our findings deadly. We physicists have to make peace with reality. Reality is not as strong as we are. We will ruin reality.”
—Friedrich Dürrenmatt (19211990)
“The child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in the wilderness until the day he appeared publicly to Israel.”
—Bible: New Testament, Luke 1:80.
“The unities, sir, he said, are a completenessa kind of universal dovetailedness with regard to place and timea sort of general oneness, if I may be allowed to use so strong an expression. I take those to be the dramatic unities, so far as I have been enabled to bestow attention upon them, and I have read much upon the subject, and thought much.”
—Charles Dickens (18121870)