Fist may refer to:
- A hand that has the fingers curled into the palm and the thumb retracted, displaying the knuckles
- In falconry, the hand covered by a heavy glove as in boxing, on which the hawk perches
- Fist bump a gesture similar in meaning to a handshake or high five.
- The individual characteristics of a telegraph operator's style striking the telegraph key
- Major League baseball player
- Fist, a recurring character in the BBC Three Situation comedy series Ideal (TV series)
- FIST (1996 video game), a 1996 video game
- A raised fist, a salute used by political and social activists
- Fist (UK band), a heavy metal band from the UK
- In printing, another name for the symbol ☞, see index (typography)
- Fist also refers to a band of men (manus), or a squad.
Read more about Fist: Acronyms
Other articles related to "fist":
... His best known work, a woodcut rendering of a clenched-fist salute, was a model for the New Left emblem ... Examples of the fist in political art can be found as far back in 1917, on an Industrial Workers of the World poster, but Cieciroka pioneered its modern usage ... Having seen the clenched-fist salute at a Socialist rally in San Francisco, he decided it was a natural image for a woodcut ...
... The arms are brought down during the "pig" and the hands are clenched into a fist ... "Sooie" is accompanied with a fist pump ... "Razorbacks" is added with two additional fist pumps ...
... Legends of the Dark King A Fist of the North Star Story (天の覇王 北斗の拳 ラオウ外伝, Ten no Haō Hokuto no Ken Raō Gaiden?, roughly translated as "The Conqueror of the Heavens ... It is a spinoff of the manga series Fist of the North Star by Buronson and Tetsuo Hara ... The story centers around the Fist of the North Star antagonist Raoh and depicts his rise to power as the conqueror of a post-apocalyptic world prior to and during the events of the original work ...
... Events ~3000–1000 BC — fist fighting is depicted in Sumerian relief carvings from the 3rd millennium BC, while an ancient Egyptian relief from the 2nd millennium BC ... BC — the earliest evidence for fist fighting with gloves or other forms of hand protection occurs in Minoan Crete ~675 BC — Homer's Iliad (Book XXIII) contains the first detailed account of a boxing contest ...
... a 1978 film FIST, the acronym for the British Army Future Integrated Soldier Technology programme Fire Support Team, see Artillery observer Fantasy Interactive ...
Famous quotes containing the word fist:
“Her fist of a face died clenched on a round pain;
And sculptured Ann is seventy years of stone.
These cloud-sopped, marble hands, this monumental
Argument of the hewn voice, gesture and psalm,
Storm me forever over her grave”
—Dylan Thomas (19141953)
“Leadership in todays world requires far more than a large stock of gunboats and a hard fist at the conference table.”
—Hubert H. Humphrey (19111978)
“I was afraid the waking arm would break
From the loose earth and rub against his eyes
A fist of trees, and the whole country tremble
In the exultant labor of his rise;”
—Donald Hall (b. 1928)