Points of Interest
- The Blackwells Mills Canal House, located at Blackwells Mills Road and Canal Road (598 Canal Road, Somerset) on the Delaware and Raritan Canal, was built around 1835, at the same time as the canal. It was constructed to house the bridge tender, who would open the swing bridge when canal boats came through, then close it to allow traffic to cross over the canal. The building is leased from the State and is maintained and operated by the Blackwells Mills Canal House Association in conjunction with the Meadows Foundation.
- Colonial Park, part of the Somerset County Park System, is a 685.5-acre (2.774 km2) facility located in the western portion of Franklin Township near East Millstone with entrances off Mettlers Lane and Elizabeth Avenue. The park offers many recreational activities, including picnicking, hiking, biking, fishing, golf and tennis. It features a 144-acre (0.58 km2) Arboretum, "a living tree museum" that provides a wide range of examples of trees and shrubs that grow well in the Central Jersey environment. The park also offers a 3-acre (12,000 m2) leash-free dog area, a 1.4-mile (2.3 km) fitness parcourse, paddleboat rentals, an 18-hole putting course, the 18 hole championship Spooky Brook Golf Course, 3 stocked fishing ponds, softball fields, tennis center, playground, nature trail, a 5-acre (20,000 m2) Perennial Garden, the Rudolf W. van der Goot Rose Garden, an accredited All-America Rose Selections (AARS) display garden, and the Fragrance and Sensory Garden, designed to be of special interest to visitors who are visually or physically impaired.
- A portion of the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park runs for some 22 miles (35 km) along much of the northern and western borders of Franklin Township eventually making its way as far south as Trenton with a feeder canal following the Delaware River north for another 22 miles (35 km) to Bull's Island near Frenchtown. The canal and adjacent tow path offer many recreational activities, from hiking and biking to fishing and boating. Access points with parking can be found near most road crossings of the canal, via bridges at Colonial Park (see above) and the Van Wickle House (see below) in Franklin Township as well as at many of the locks on the canal.
- The John W. Flemer Preserve is a 7.4-acre (30,000 m2) preserve adjacent to the Delaware and Raritan Canal in Kingston that features a 2-mile (3.2 km) trail on the east bank of the Canal that offers a connection to the tow path on the west side of the Canal for a round trip hike.
- The Franklin Inn, at 2371 Amwell Road (Route 514), East Millstone, NJ a farmhouse built c. 1752 by Cornelius Van Liew, it has also been known as Annie Van Liew's House and, after being remodeled into a tavern and inn, the Franklin House Hotel.
- The Hageman Farm, at 209 South Middlebush Road, is a c. 1861 historic farm. Owned by Franklin Township, the farm is under the stewardship of the Meadows Foundation.
- The William L. Hutcheson Memorial Forest, a 500-acre (2.0 km2) natural preserve that includes a 65-acre (260,000 m2) virgin old growth forest designated a National Natural Landmark, is located at 2150 Amwell Rd. (Route 514) about 3/4 of a mile east of East Millstone.
- The Negri-Nepote Native Grassland Preserve is a 164-acre (0.66 km2) preserve located between Bennets Lane and Skillmans Lane in the Somerset section that features 111-acre (0.45 km2) of grassland, forest and scrubland and a 2.5-acre (10,000 m2) wetland attracting migratory birds and amphibians with over 3 miles (4.8 km) of pedestrian trails, bird boxes and interpretive signage.
- Rockingham State Historic Site, near Kingston on CR 603 (Somerset County), adjacent to the Delaware and Raritan Canal. George Washington wrote his Farewell Address to the Revolutionary Army while staying here in the fall of 1783.
- Six Mile Reservoir Site, part of the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry, is located in the central portion of Franklin Township. The 3,037-acre (12.29 km2) park consists of land that was set aside in c. 1970 for water resource needs that still remains largely undeveloped and that offers numerous multi-use recreational trails. Access is provided via the former D&R Canal Main Office parking area off Canal Road just south of Blackwells Mills Road.
- Spieden & Hoebel Farms, Little Valley Natural Area is a 120-acre (0.49 km2) area at 1327 and 1345 Canal Road with several miles of trails through forest and along field edges. Across Canal Road is access to the Delaware and Raritan Canal tow path and the Millstone River and flood plain.
- Ten Mile Run Greenway is a 684-acre (2.77 km2) greenway over 4 miles (6.4 km) in length running between Canal Rd. south of Bunker Hill Road in Griggstown and S. Middlebush Road near Old Vliet Road in Franklin Park. It runs along the Ten Mile Run. It features four sections including:
- Bunker Hill Natural Area, accessed from the north side of Bunker Hill Road near the intersection of Rt. 27 features trails through mature forest and meadows and along Ten Mile Run stream. Trails connect to the Griggstown Native Grassland Preserve and the Catalpa Farm areas.
- Catalpa Farm, Old Vliet Road offers trails along field edges and a small forest that connect to the Bunker Hill Natural Area.
- Environmental Education Center, 255 Bunker Hill Road (parking is available at 287 Bunker Hill Road), is a 95-area the features a deciduous forest known as Graeber Woods, a one-mile (1.6 km) self-guided nature trail and the “Glass House”, a home that has been renovated and is now used as a classroom and conference center to provide a wide range of instructional, hands-on activities in natural habitats, and a 20' climbing tower and a high ropes course adventure area. The Environmental Education Center is a cooperative effort of the Township of Franklin, the Franklin Township Board of Education, and the Green Acres Program. A trail connect to the Griggstown Native Grassland Preserve and the rest of the Ten Mile Run Greenway.
- Griggstown Native Grassland Preserve accessed from Canal Road in Griggstown (1091 Canal Road) has over 100 acres (0.40 km2) of grassland and hundreds of acres of forest and features over 6 miles (9.7 km) of mapped trails. Trails connect to the other sections of the Ten Mile Run Greenway.
- Tulipwood, at 1165 Hamilton Street, is a c. 1892 designed by J. August Lienau, the son of Detlef Lienau for his brother-in-law Stephen Guion Williams whose family owned the Williams & Guion Black Star Line. Owned by Franklin Township, the site is under the stewardship of the Meadows Foundation.
- The Ukrainian Cultural Center at 135 Davidson Avenue, serves as the headquarters of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA and includes at the site (some open by appointment only):
- St. Sophia Seminary and Library, founded in 1975,
- St. Andrew Memorial Church, completed and consecrated in 1967 in memory of the 7-14 million people who died in the Ukrainian famine of 1932-33 is a unique example of Ukrainian Cossak Baroque architecture in the area,
- St. Andrew Cemetery, founded in 1952,
- The Ukrainian Historical and Educational Center, founded in 1972, which contains priceless treasures of Ukrainian cultural, historical, social, religious, literary and political life including Easter eggs, lacework, hand embroidery, statuary and church vessels.
- The Ukrainian Cultural Center, dedicated in 1985,
- St. Andrew Ukrainian School, founded in 1962 and located in the Cultural Center,
- St. Andrew Bookstore and Ecclesiastical Supply, founded in 1992,
- The historic Fisher Homestead, built in 1688, the home of Hendrick Fisher, New Jersey's delegate to the Continental Congress, and the site of the Fisher Family Cemetery.
- The Van Liew-Suydam House, at 280 South Middlebush Road, was built in the 18th century by Peter Van Liew. Joseph Suydam later built the part of the house that is visible today. The newest and largest portion of the house was built in 1875. Although the most recent long term owner of the house was named French, the house has been named after its two initial owners. Owned by Franklin Township, the farm is under the stewardship of the Meadows Foundation.
- The Van Wickle House, at 1289 Easton Avenue is a historic house built c. 1722 by Symen Van Wickle. Operated by the Meadows Foundation which holds special annual events here.
- The Wyckoff-Garretson House, at 215 South Middlebush Road, was built in 1730 by Cornelius Wyckoff. The house was restored by the Meadows Foundation under the direction of architect Mark Alan Hewitt FAIA.
Read more about this topic: Franklin Township, Somerset County, New Jersey
Other articles related to "points, points of, points of interest, point":
... line, y ≈ 0.267n which connects the points for n = 30, 60, and 90 is misleading ... If the plot were continued, there would be points below it ... slope of a line (through the origin) is, there will eventually be points of the plot below the line ...
... The film The Fugitive, released in the early nineties, gives make-believe coordinates for the location of Richard Kimball ... If those coordinates are placed on a map, they are right outside Secor ...
... plane consists of a set of lines, a set of points, and a relation between points and lines called incidence, having the following properties Given any two distinct points, there is exactly one ... Given any two distinct lines, there is exactly one point incident with both of them ... There are four points such that no line is incident with more than two of them ...
... geometric definition of a constructible point is as follows ... First, for any two distinct points P and Q in the plane, let L(P, Q ) denote the unique line through P and Q, and let C (P, Q ) denote the unique circle with center P, passing ... Then a point Z is constructible from E, F, G and H if either Z is in the intersection of L(E, F ) and L(G, H ), where L(E, F ) ≠ L(G, H ) Z is in the intersection of C (E, F ) and C (G, H ), where C (E, F ...
Famous quotes containing the words points of, interest and/or points:
“If I were in the unenviable position of having to study my work my points of departure would be the Naught is more real ... and the Ubi nihil vales ... both already in Murphy and neither very rational.”
—Samuel Beckett (19061989)
“You will think me very pedantic, gentlemen, but holiday though it may be, I have not the smallest interest in any holiday, except as it celebrates real and not pretended joys.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
Decapitated exclamation points in that Other Womans eyes.”
—Gwendolyn Brooks (b. 1917)