Amis may refer to:
- Amis people (or Amis), a tribe of Taiwanese aborigines
- Amis language, an indigenous language of Taiwan
- AMIS (ISP), an Internet service provider (ISP) in Slovenia and Croatia
The acronym AMIS may stand for:
- African Union Mission in Sudan (AMIS)
- American Musical Instrument Society (AMIS)
- AMI Semiconductor, designer and manufacturer of silicon chips
- Association for Music in International Schools
- Atari Message Information System, known as "AMIS" and was Bulletin board system for 8-bit Atari computers
- Audio Messaging Interchange Specification, a method to move messages from one voice mail system to another
- Adaptive Multimedia Information System, a software program that you can use to read DAISY Digital Talking Books
- Alternate Multiplex Interrupt Specification - a method of sharing a software interrupt by many TSR programs
- Abandoned Mines Information System, a database containing abandoned and inactive mines in Ontario, Canada
- Agricultural Market Information System, an initiative by the G20 states to analyse and forecast the situation on the global agricultural market.
People (sur)named Amis:
- B. D. Amis, American labor and civil rights leader
- John Amis, British music critic and broadcaster
- Kenneth Amis, composer and tuba player
- Kingsley Amis, British novelist
- Martin Amis, British novelist, son of Kingsley Amis
- Rufus Travis Amis, American entrepreneur
- Stephen Amis, Australian film producer and director, cousin of Martin Amis
- Suzy Amis, American actress and model
Other articles related to "amis":
... AMIS is completely "in-band" and analog, meaning that the control commands to indicate who the message is from, the time received and "from" mailbox or ... Routing of messages is typically achieved through dedicated AMIS trunks which are just unpublished phone numbers or back doors into a voice mail system, set up to receive AMIS messages ... a message addressed to mailbox it did not handle, would initiate an AMIS call to the target voice mail system and relay the message information along with the message itself ...
... The book takes its title from one of Amis' essays, an encomium to James Joyce's novel Ulysses ... Amis characterizes that novel as Joyce's "campaign against cliché" ... Amis writes ...
... "Squid" Danny Amis, Eddie Angel, Pete Curry, Jimmy Lester, Mark Neill 148 2 ... "Time Bomb" Amis, Angel, Curry, Lester, Neill 235 4 ... "Can You Dig It?" Amis, Angel, Curry, Lester 338 5 ...
... AMIS is an Internet service provider (ISP) in Slovenia ... As of 2006, AMIS was also the second largest fixed telephony service provider in Slovenia, as well as the fourth largest in Croatia ...
Famous quotes containing the word amis:
“Weapons are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough.”
—Martin Amis (b. 1949)
“Outside every fat man there was an even fatter man trying to close in.”
—Kingsley Amis (b. 1922)
“The ideal of brotherhood of man, the building of the Just City, is one that cannot be discarded without lifelong feelings of disappointment and loss. But, if we are to live in the real world, discard it we must. Its very nobility makes the results of its breakdown doubly horrifying, and it breaks down, as it always will, not by some external agency but because it cannot work.”
—Kingsley Amis (19221995)