The contract to build her was awarded to Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine on 13 March 1959 and her keel was laid down on 16 September 1960. She was launched on 24 April 1963 (sponsored by Mrs. Grace Groves, the wife of Lieutenant General Leslie R. Groves, head of the Manhattan Project) and commissioned on 31 March 1967, with Commander Louis T. Urbanczyk, Jr., in command.
Jack was a variation on the Permit class, 20 feet (6.1 m) longer than her sisters and using an experimental direct-drive plant with two contra-rotating propellers on a single shaft.
- History from 1967 to 1990 needed.
In 1981 the Jack was involved in an incident in Alexandria, Egypt. On April 27th it was moored alongside the USS Trenton (LPD 14) when the Jack in heavy swells crashed into the Trenton doing slight damage to both ships.
Jack was decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 11 July 1990. Ex-Jack entered the Nuclear Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program in Bremerton, Washington, and on 30 June 1992 ceased to exist.