Settlement may refer to:
- Consolidation (soil), a process by which soils decrease in volume
- Human settlement, a community where people live
- Plantation (settlement or colony), an early method of colonization
- Israeli settlement, communities inhabited by Israeli Jews in territory that came under Israel's control as a result of the 1967 Six-Day War
- Urban settlement (disambiguation)
- Rural settlement
- Urban-type settlement
- Settlement (closing), as in a real estate closing with transfer of title deed to the buyer
- Settlement (finance), the process of exchanging the consideration for financial instruments once a transaction has been executed
- Settlement (structural), the gradual distortions created in a structure
- Legal terms
- Settlement (litigation), an agreement or resolution of a dispute
- Settlement under the Poor Law, a person's place of origin or later established residence, being the Parish responsible for the person if destitute
- Settlement (trust), an instrument creating a trust
- Structured settlement, a financial or insurance agreement involving a structure of periodic payments to pay a debt such as tax liability
Other articles related to "settlement, settlements":
... monetary damages under their 1996 divorce property settlement, in which Victoria agreed to pay Alexander 15% of earnings from her work for the next ... Victoria claimed the settlement was invalid, and sought to seal the trial, but the court declined to do so ... Year, Alexander Zdrok again sued to overturn the most recent settlement ...
... According to the Sagas of Icelanders, he established a Norse settlement at Vinland, tentatively identified with the Norse L'Anse aux Meadows on the northern ... Brattahlíð in the so-called Eastern Settlement, where Leif had his upbringing ... Leif as chieftain of the Greenland settlement ...
... The first settlement at this location was mentioned in 1848 and its name was Neu Ilof ... It was a settlement for workers that worked in the nearby estate whose last owner was count Kotek ... The modern settlement was founded in 1918 as a settlement for Serb veterans from World War I ...
... mouth of the Tagus River attracted early settlement to this region ... conditioned cultivation and allowed the settlement of several small agricultural castros within the regions limits, such as Castro of Leceia (which was classified in 1963 as a property of ... This archaeological site is a witness to the early settlements and defensive structures that developed during the Calcolithic period, although Paleolithic camps, such as Gruta da Ponte da Laje ...
... It is therefore unclear whether a permanent settlement existed at that time ... The first known settlement from the Early Helladic period (3000-2000 BC) was located in the plain ... This settlement was moved to the top of the Acropolis in the Middle Helladic period (2000-1600 BC), because the plain was flooded by the nearby lagoon ...
Famous quotes containing the word settlement:
“A Tory..., since the revolution, may be defined in a few words, to be a lover of monarchy, though without abandoning liberty; and a partizan of the family of Stuart. As a Whig may be defined to be a lover of liberty though without renouncing monarchy; and a friend to the settlement in the protestant line.”
—David Hume (17111776)
“... if the Settlement seeks its expression through social activity, it must learn the difference between mere social unrest and spiritual impulse.”
—Jane Addams (18601935)
“A Settlement is above all a place for enthusiasms, a spot to which those who have a passion for the equalization of human joys and opportunities are early attracted.”
—Jane Addams (18601935)