Sandown

Sandown is a seaside resort town and civil parish on the southeast coast of the Isle of Wight, England, neighbouring the town of Shanklin to the south. Sandown Bay is the name of the bay off the English Channel which both towns share, and it is notable for its long stretch of easily accessible golden sandy beach. It is the site of the lost Sandown Castle. Whilst undergoing construction, this was attacked by a French force which had fought its way over Culver Down from Whitecliff Bay, resulting in the French being repulsed. It was built too far into the sea and constantly suffered erosion, until now reduced to a pile of rocks. Later forts in the town include the Diamond Fort (named after its plan), built inshore to replace the castle and which fought off a minor attack from privateers (probably French) in 1788, and the present "Granite Fort", which is now the zoo.

The sweeping esplanade from Devonia Steps to Yaverland and the bandstand was built during the First World War, for the first time stabilising the road to Bembridge. An extension to Brown's Golf Course (and former ice cream factory) was added in 1944 to disguise pumping apparatus for the Pipe Line Under the Ocean (PLUTO) pumping oil to the D-Day beaches, which still stands next to the large Art Deco Grand Hotel.

Sandown Bay is often used as a sheltered anchorage, especially for ships requiring salvage which are periodically towed into the bay (such as the Tarpenbeck) and the wreck of a salvage tug could be seen until recently at low tide under Culver Cliff (the Harry Sharman) which had been assisting the stricken tanker Pacific Glory in the 1970s.

Read more about SandownNatural Interests, History, Pubs and Dining, Transport, Media, Cities Links, Famous Connections, Notable People

Other articles related to "sandown":

Sandown Castle, Isle Of Wight
... Sandown Castle was built as one of Henry VIII's Device Forts at Sandown on the Isle of Wight from 1544 onwards ... Although Sandown Castle was never attacked, it was the scene of a desperate battle with French invaders who had landed at Whitecliff Bay and made their way over Culver Down amid heavy skirmishing in 1545 ... was finally demolished before the present-day town of Sandown was established ...
Sandown Bay Academy - History
... The main school was established in 1970 when the former Sandown Grammar and Fairway Secondary Modern schools merged to form Sandown High School ... Sandown Bay Academy was formed on the main school site and the site of former Sandham Middle School, now North School, in 2011, with the age range extended to Year 7 to Year 14 ...
Sandown, Gauteng - Demographics
65.5% spoke English, 7.8% Zulu, 6.0% Tswana, 5.0% Northern Sotho, 3.1% Afrikaans, 2.4% Xhosa, 2.1% Sotho, 1.7% Venda, 1.7% Tsonga, 0.8% Southern Ndebele. 0.4% Swazi and 3.4% some other language as their first language ...
Sandown Railway Line
... The Sandown Line is a short industrial railway line in the western suburbs of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia ... carrying empty containers to and from storage at Sandown but, when electrified, it carried an infrequent electric suburban service to serve the surrounding industrial area, operated by single-deck 3-car trains (marshall ... The line had 3 simple stations Sandown, Hardies and Goodyear (a platform called Cream of Tartar Works closed prior to electrification) ...
Sandown Bay Academy
... Sandown Bay Academy, formerly Sandown High School, is an academy status secondary school, including sixth form, located in Sandown on the Isle of Wight ...