Texas Centennial Issue of 1936, showing Sam Houston, The Alamo, and Stephen F. Austin
67-foot-tall (20 m) statue of Sam Houston near Huntsville, Texas
Statue of Sam Houston in Hermann Park
The Sam Houston State Office Building houses the headquarters of the Texas Ethics Commission and the Texas State Preservation Board
The U.S. city of Houston in Southeast Texas was named in honor of Sam Houston.
- Huntsville, Texas, is the home of the Sam Houston Memorial Museum, a 67 ft (20 m) statue, Sam Houston State University, and Houston's gravesite. The statue is easily visible by motorists traveling on Interstate 45) and is also the title and subject of a country music song by Merle Haggard.
- A bronze equestrian sculpture of Houston is located in Hermann Park in Houston, Texas This statue depicts Houston atop his horse with a single hand out stretched pointing directly towards San Jacinto.
- The Sam Houston Wayside near Lexington, Virginia, is a 38,000-pound piece of Texas pink granite commemorating Houston's birthplace.
- The Sam Houston Schoolhouse in Maryville, Tennessee, is Tennessee's oldest schoolhouse. In addition to the schoolhouse there is a museum on the grounds.
- USS Sam Houston, an Ethan Allen class submarine, was named after Houston.
- The Sam Houston National Forest, one of four national forests in Texas, was named after Houston.
- The Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center, located outside of Liberty, Texas has the largest known collection of photographs and illustrations of Houston.
- Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas, is named after Houston.
- Many cities in the U.S. have a street, school, or park named for Houston; however, New York City's Houston Street is not named after Sam Houston. Instead, it is named after William Houstoun, and pronounced HOW-stin.
- The State of Texas has placed a statue of Sam Houston inside Statuary Hall the United States Capitol.
- The Sam Houston Coliseum (now demolished) in Houston, Texas, was named after Houston. The Beatles performed there in 1965.
- There is a mural depicting Sam Houston on a gas tank near State Hwy 225 in Houston.
- Sam Houston High School, in Lake Charles, Louisiana and in Arlington, Texas
- Sam Houston Middle School, in Garland, Texas
- Sam Houston Elementary Schools in Lebanon and Maryville, Tennessee; Eagle Pass, Huntsville, Conroe and Bryan, Texas, and Houston, Texas
- A bust of Sam Houston is located inside the Virginia State Capitol Building in Richmond, Virginia
- The eponymous cities in Texas, Mississippi, and Minnesota are named after Houston
- A road encirling the city of Houston is named the Sam Houston Tollway
- The song "SayHo" by Scott Miller is about Sam Houston
- The State of Tennessee has a county (Erin, Tennessee is the county seat) named after Houston
- In Texas, Houston County is named in honor of the renowned statesman. Its county seat is Crockett, Texas.
- The County Seat of Texas County, Missouri is Houston, Missouri, named after Sam Houston.
Read more about this topic: Sam Houston
Other articles related to "honors":
... colleges and universities have a separate academic track known as an "honors" or "scholars" program, generally offered to the top percentile of students (based on GPA ... Usually, the above Latin honors are separate from the notation for this honors course, but a student in the honors course generally must maintain grades worthy of at least the cum laude ... Baccalaureatum summa cum laude in cursu honorum in the honors course ...
... For honors track study — engineering students only — the minimum entrance requirements are A-Level results with B average or above in three subjects, one of which must be A-Level Pure Mathematics ... Students in the Honors Track are required to maintain a cumulative grade average (CGA) of A- or above every semester ... academic results will be invited to join the honors study track halfway ...
... A distinctive First Year Honors Program is for qualified first-year students ... There are three options Contemporary Contexts, East Meets West, and Science Honors ... Contemporary Contexts is the replacement program for the London Honors program which began in 1996 ...
... The WKU Honors College became the first and only Honors College in the Commonwealth of Kentucky on July 1, 2007 ... The Honors College serves over 1,000 active Honors students with the 2009 incoming freshman class ACT/SAT average ranking among the top 6% in the nation ...
Famous quotes containing the word honors:
“He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher.”
—Walt Whitman (18191892)
“My hearts subdued
Even to the very quality of my lord.
I saw Othellos visage in his mind,
And to his honors and his valiant parts
Did I my soul and fortunes consecrate.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“The sire then shook the honors of his head,
And from his brows damps of oblivion shed
Full on the filial dullness:”
—John Dryden (16311700)