Communities and Locations in The Town
- Algonquin Park – Although completely surrounded by the town of Newburgh, this parkland was donated by private developers (who had purchased the property with the intent of building homes on it) to the city of Newburgh for use as a park. Part of the land was purchased and donated to the City by Frederic Delano, a local resident who was the uncle of future President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The Newburgh Lion's Club added land to the donation in the 1930s, and it remained a City of Newburgh park until the mid-1970s, at which time the City could no longer maintain its upkeep. After lying idle for several years, Orange County took it over and today it remains a part of the County Parks and Recreation Department. The ruins of the old gunpowder mill on the parkland is one of only two such remnants in the United States, and is part of the Orange Mill Historic District, the only Historic District within the Town.
- Algonquin Park Boulder – A centerpiece of Algonquin Park had long been a huge boulder which had been in place at least since the Ice Age. Children played on and around it and park patrons of all ages utilized it as a resting place, shade oasis, and a place for meeting. On several occasions the County attempted to remove the boulder, only to face strong opposition from local residents. In the early 1990s, then County Executive Mary McPhillips suggested it be removed for safety reasons. Local historic and civic groups impressed on County officials the landmark status and sentimental value of the boulder and obtained pledges that it would never be removed. In the mid-1990s, a new administration in the County seat again proposed removing the rock, this time for the purpose of constructing a soccer field. The county was presented with petitions signed by over 600 residents asking that the boulder be retained. The then-County Executive, Joseph Rampe, and the Commissioner of Parks, Graham Skea, both pledged that the boulder would never be removed. The soccer field was built just north of Gardnertown Road, also County parkland, so it was assumed there was no longer any threat to the boulder. Then, on the morning of June 25, 2008, the sound of jackhammers alerted neighbors that the boulder was being destroyed. It was soon a pile of rubble. The destruction of the boulder took place on the second to the last day on the job of Parks Commissioner J. Brett Simmons, who succeeded Skea upon the latter's retirement. Simmons informed no one of the decision to remove the boulder—no County official and no Town official. A blasting permit from the Town of Newburgh was not needed because no blasting was involved. County Executive Ed Diana was not informed of the decision to destroy the rock, and in any case was unaware of the pledges made by his predecessors to retain the rock. Local press coverage underscored the outright grief and rage of local park users and historical buffs. Les Cornell, Newburgh Town Historian, noted that the boulder was located in the only historic district within the Town, and questioned if any historic landmark is now safe. But the damage was done and is irreversible.
- Amber Fields – A development built in the late 1980s on the west side of Fletcher Drive North just north of Interstate 84.
- Balmville – A hamlet in the eastern part of the town, immediately north of the city of Newburgh.
- Brighton Green – a condominium townhouse complex on the north side of Meadow Hill Road, across from Meadow Hill Reformed Church at the end of Fletcher Drive North, opened to occupancy in 2007.
- Candlestick Hill – An area along the northern border which until recent years was still completely rural with apple orchards. Since 2000, the site of explosive new home building. A large mobile home park has been located here since the mid-1960s.
- Cedar Cliff – Was a hamlet in the extreme northeast corner of Town, at the point where the Orange-Ulster County border meets the Hudson River. According to old maps, in the late 19th century it had its own post office and school, but today exists only as the name of a hill and of a short dead-end road which runs perpendicular to Old Post Road and the river.
- Cedar Hill Cemetery, an interdenominational cemetery, is the largest cemetery in the Town of Newburgh. It is on the east side of Route 9W, just north of Middle Hope, west of Roseton, and southwest of Cedar Cliff. It was founded in the 1850s. Notables buried there include Andrew Jackson Downing, the world famous landscape architect closely associated with the City of Newburgh, and Eric Carr, drummer for the rock group Kiss.
- Chadwick Lake – A manmade lake in the northwestern part of the town, owned and maintained for recreational purposes by the Town government. It is surrounded by Chadwick Lake Park, a Town park. It is also the secondary water supply for the Town, the first being the Delaware Aqueduct (New York City). Big playground off the lake. The lake was created when the property owners, the Chadwick family, constructed a dam across Quassaick Creek in 1926. For that reason, the lake does not appear on any 19th-century maps. The Town purchased the lake from the Chadwick Family in 1962 with the intent of using it as a water supply. Some older commercial maps erroneously label the lake "Cronomer Lake" probably due to its proximity to the hamlet of Cronomer Valley and to Cronomer Hill, but there is no evidence that this name was ever used locally for the lake either officially or informally.
- Cronomer Hill Park – owned and maintained by the Orange County Parks and Recreation Department, the portion near the summit of the hill is richly forested. The portion of the park which extends down the southwest slope, to and across Gardnertown Road to Powder Mill Road, includes soccer and baseball fields, and tennis courts. This portion of the park is the site of Town of Newburgh "Community Day" every year the last worknight prior to July 4. It features local vendors and concludes with a fireworks display. The most prominent elevation in the Town, due to its central location, is Cronomer Hill. The summit of Cronomer Hill, the name of which derives from an Indian chief who allegedly lived atop the hill during Revolutionary War times, is 725 feet (221 m) above sea level. Most of Cronomer Hill is now a park owned and maintained by Orange County and remains heavily forested. The summit, accessible by auto via a road intersecting with Route 32, features an observation tower from which can be seen breathtaking views of major portions of the mid Hudson Valley, including the Newburgh Beacon Bridge in its entirely, much of Dutchess County across the Hudson, and major portions of Stewart Airport to the southwest, as well as much of the City of Newburgh and Town of New Windsor. A cell phone tower is at the summit of Cronomer Hill.
- Cronomer Valley – nestled between Fostertown and Cronomer Hill. The confusing, unusual junction of New York State Routes 32 and 300 in the hamlet has locally been known as Holt's Corner in honor of the family which has long owned property and businesses at and near the intersection, members of which live in the vicinity of the intersection to this day. The Cronomer Valley Fire Department is located on Route 32 about 2/10 mile southeast of Holt's Corner.
- Danskammer Point – is a small peninsula which juts into the Hudson River north of Roseton and south of Cedar Cliff, at the base of Soap Hill. "Danskammer" is Dutch for "dance chamber" and was so named by the earliest Dutch settlers because Native Americans would conduct ritual dances by firelight on this point. In the 1930s, the Central Hudson company built the Danskammer Generating Station,an electric generating plant, at this site. The plant was expanded in the 1970s in such a way that it eradicated most of the Hamlet of Roseton. Today, the power complex is owned and operated by the Dynegy company. The plant is oil generated, and the oil crisis of the mid to late 2000s rendered the plant uneconomical to operate. Accordingly, as of 2008, it is off line all but a handful of days a year.
- DuPont Park – an old subdivision laid out in the 1920s, but due to the Great Depression of the 1930s, most of the houses weren't built until the mid 1940s, immediately after World War II. The east-west street is Waring Road (named after original property owners) and the north-south streets were named Innis Avenue and DuPont Avenue. The original subdivision map indicated extremely small building lots by today's standards, but when actual home construction began, larger, more conventional size lots were utilized. Both the original lots and the lots actually used are indicated on the tax maps on file in the Town Assessor's office. An interesting facet of the subdivision is that the original plans called for a canal to be built equidistant between Innis Avenue and DuPont Avenue, between the back yards of the homes. The canal never came to be. In the early 1960s, the Town changed the name of DuPont Avenue to Algonquin Drive, to end confusion with the DuPont Avenue in the City of Newburgh. The subdivision is immediately across Powder Mill Road from Algonquin Park, and the original developers intended to extend the subdivision through that land, but instead donated it to the City of Newburgh for use as a park.
- East Coldenham – A hamlet and the site of the East Coldenham Elementary School disaster in 1989. The hamlet is a part of the Valley Central School District. Named after Cadwallader Colden (1688–1776), last Royalist Lieutenant Governor of New York Province prior to the Revolutionary War, and an author, botanist, surveyor and farmer. His home was in the Town of Montgomery a few hundred feet west of the current Town of Newburgh boundary. The large Colden Park housing development, built in the mid-1950s on the south side of Route 17K, and the smaller Fleetwood Development on the opposite side of 17K, are located here. In recent years, the former Colden Park Homeowners Association has encouraged the use of East Coldenham as the name for the entire area. Although Colden Park is an extremely large development, Arbor Drive is the only entrance and exit.
- East Leptondale – A vaguely defined region east of Leptondale and west of Cronomer Valley.
- Fenlo Park – one of the first post-World War II developments in Town, consisted of Stanley Place, Roy Place, Noel Drive, Helene Terrace, and the westernmost part of Chestnut Lane. The homes were built 1953-59. The designation fell into disuse as newer, contiguous developments were built. Stanley, Roy, Noel and Helene were the children of the developer.
- Folin Heights – the old name (which has fallen into disuse) for the Carter Avenue corridor, has majestic views of the Hudson and the valley.
- Fostertown – A hamlet centered on the intersection where Fostertown Road, North Fostertown Drive, New Road, Weyants Lane and Owens Road meet. Through the 1950s, a farming community. Gidneytown Creek flows under North Fostertown Drive just north of this intersection, and under Fostertown Road (also known as County Road 86) just east of it. A development, with streets named after Revolutionary War battles (Saratoga Drive, Valley Forge Dr., etc.) was built in the 1960s behind Fostertown School to the northeast, going up the side of Prospect Hill. Fostertown Crossing, built in the late 1990s, is directly in back of Fostertown School. The homes in Fostertown Crossing can be described as palatial. The central part of Fostertown School is believed to be the oldest school building still in use in the Town of Newburgh for educational purposes, although additions were built in 1957, 1961, and 1988. A church at the intersection of Fostertown Road and North Fostertown Drive, formerly called Fostertown Methodist, is believed to be the oldest church building still in use for religious purposes in the Town of Newburgh, having been built in 1833. The original Parsonage was built in 1964 and the fellowship hall followed in 1966. On January 1, 1976, Fostertown Methodist Church merged with two other Methodist churches in the Town of Newburgh (Middle Hope and Rossville) to become Trinity United Methodist Parish (see below). An old cemetery connected with the church is north of the church building, on North Fostertown Drive, adjacent to a modern entrance to Fostertown Crossing.
- Fostertown Heights – The region on the ridge just west of Fostertown. Panoramic views of much of the Mid Hudson Valley are still available from along Fostertown Road, south of the Sarvis Lane intersection.
- Frozen Ridge – a bluff with majestic views of the Fostertown valley and the southern tip of Marlboro Mountain, was apple orchards and forest until the late 20th century, and is now experiencing explosive home building.
- Gardnertown – A hamlet named after the Silas Gardner family, whose home is still standing and in private use. Since Gardnertown is the geographic center of the Town of Newburgh, most of the government buildings, including Town Hall, Police Headquarters, and the Code Compliance building, are located here. Gardnertown does not have its own zip code, but a branch of the Newburgh Post Office is located here.
- Gidneytown – a once prosperous hamlet located at what is now the intersection of Gidney Avenue and Route 32. A grist mill, thriving in the late 18th and throughout the 19th centuries and owned by the Gidney family, was located here on the banks of Gidneytown Creek. Only the brick chimney remains, an historic site which stands on Town owned property. An historical marker on the site recounts a brief history of the Gidney grist mill. This property was the site of a controversial wastewater treatment plant which operated from 1963 until the sewer lines were consolidated and the plant demolished in 1989. This plant was one of several in the Hudson valley targeted by the Riverkeeper organization. The Town of Newburgh Animal Shelter is currently located on this town-owned property. Until the late 1950s, a body of water known as Gidney Pond was a popular local swimming, fishing and ice skating hole. It was filled in after a child drowned. A shopping mall anchored by a Shop Rite supermarket, two banks, a new modern Walgreens drug store, and other commercial and retail establishments are now on the site of Gidney Pond. Another, much smaller, body of water which appears on old Town maps was Grimm's Pond, a popular fishing hole on the southwest corner of Gidney Avenue and Gardnertown Road. This former body of water is now marshland traversed by Gidneytown Creek.
- Glenwood Park – A former hamlet which was located around the current site of the Good Will Fire Department.
- Gomez Mill House – the earliest known surviving Jewish residence in the country and the oldest home in Orange County listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Hy Vue Terrace – a development built in the mid-1950s on the northeast side of North Plank Road, originally received a great deal of publicity because all the houses were brick. The original streets in the development were Hy Vue Drive, Hy Vue Court, and Hy Vue Circle. Later, Hy Vue Drive was extended up the hill where additional homes were built.
- Leptondale – Northwest corner of the Town. Leptondale is not a part of the Enlarged Newburgh City School District, but is part of the Wallkill School District. Today it remains the most rural part of the Town, although much new housing construction has taken place since 2000. The zip code for the area is 12589. Much of Leptondale is in the Plattekill Fire District. While the main Plattekill fire house is in Ulster County, a substation has recently been built on Forest Road to service Leptondale.
- Meadow Hill – Largest development within the town boundaries. Divided into North, South, and West quadrants. (Meadow Hill East is actually Gardnertown) All street names in Meadow Hill South are related to horses (Pommel Drive, Paddock Place, Coach Lane, etc.) All street names in Meadow Hill North but one are related to royalty or diplomacy (Monarch Drive, Ambassador Lane, Royal Circle, etc.) All street names in Meadow Hill West are British (Victoria Drive, Picadilly Circle, etc.) Was farmland prior to the 1960s. Meadow Hill North is located on property which was a dairy farm owned by the Patton family. It was traversed by an unpaved dirt road known as Patton Road. Today, Patton Road – which follows the exact route of the old unpaved dirt road – is the only thoroughfare in Meadow Hill North not having a royalty or diplomacy related name.
- Meadow Winds – A new development built in the late 1990s and early 2000s on a hill on the south side of Route 52 immediately west of the New York Thruway. It was built on property formerly known as Lawrence Farms. It consists of free standing one family homes, attached town houses, and condominiums, and has majestic views of much of the Town.
- Middle Hope (or Middlehope) – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town. Formerly called Middletown because it was halfway between the Newburgh city and the town of Marlborough, the name was changed in the 19th century to avoid confusion with the city called Middletown, also in Orange County. Middle Hope was long the center of the apple growing industry in the town of Newburgh, including cold storage facilities. Towards the close of the first decade of the 21st century, the last of the apple orchards have been transformed into housing developments. When the school districts consolidated in 1963, the Middle Hope school district opted to consolidate with the Unified Marlboro School District rather than the Newburgh Enlarged City School District. The Middle Hope Elementary School was built on Overlook Drive. The Middle Hope Fire Department is located on Lattintown Road a few hundred feet west of Route 9W, with a substation to the south, at the corner of 9W and Balmville Road. A Methodist church flourished in Middle Hope for many years, until it merged with two other Methodist Churches in the Town of Newburgh to form Trinity United Methodist Parish (see below) in 1976.
- Newburgh and Cochecton Turnpike – one of the oldest roads in the state (1801), it is today New York State Route 17K.
- Newburgh Gardens – an area just north of the hamlet of Glenwood Park, is believed to be the oldest subdivision in the town of Newburgh. The building lots are much smaller than in the rest of the town, streets are narrower, and tax maps indicate many "paper" streets. The older homes are extremely small, although more recently constructed houses can be quite large. Originally, the five north-south thoroughfares in the subdivision were named Dix Avenue, Wilson Avenue, Taft Avenue, Roosevelt Avenue, and Fifth Avenue. In 1912, Woodrow Wilson, William Howard Taft, and Theodore Roosevelt ran against each other for President of the United States. That same year, John Alden Dix was Governor of New York. Accordingly, it is assumed by Town officials and local historic buffs that the subdivision was conceived in or soon after 1912. Dix Avenue was divided into a north section and a south section by the construction of Interstate 84 in 1963, which bisects the neighborhood. Wilson Avenue is today truncated to one block long, Roosevelt Avenue was renamed Schullman Lane to avoid confusion with a Roosevelt Place in the City of Newburgh, and Taft and Fifth Avenues remain today as major, heavily trafficked north-south thoroughfares.
- North Plank Road and South Plank Road were two plank roads, roughly parallel and approximately two miles apart, constructed by competing turnpike companies in the 1840s. Tolls were charged on both of these roads. Both began at what is now the City of Newburgh limits and extended westward into the Shawangunk and eventually Catskill Mountains. Today, North Plank Road is designated as New York State Route 32 from Route 9W as far as Holt's Corner in Cronomer Valley, after which point it is designated Route 300. South Plank Road is New York State Route 52 its entire length. The U.S. Postal Service still recognizes North Plank Road as the official address for all mail along the Route 32 portion of the highway, as do the local government and emergency services. This is despite the fact that there is not one single sign identifying the thoroughfare as North Plank Road anywhere on its entire length. Mail addressed to recipients beyond Cronomer Valley must be addressed to Route 300, and will be returned to sender if addressed North Plank Road. (This determination was made as a part of the "911" emergency system renumbering in the mid-1990s.) The Postal Service, local government, and emergency services recognize South Plank Road as the official designation for that entire road, even though, just as is the case with North Plank Road, there is no signage whatsoever the entire length of the highway identifying it as such. From 1895 until 1926, an electric railway ran along South Plank Road from downtown city of Newburgh through the entire length of the Town of Newburgh to the Village of Walden to the west. This electric railway (popularly referred to as the trolley) was a major factor in the success of the amusement park at Orange Lake. There are three side roads designated as Old South Plank Road---one in Gardnertown, one in Orange Lake, and one at the Montgomery Town line. Contrary to local belief, these are not shunpike roads but were the location of South Plank Road prior to the state takeover and paving in the 1920s. Likewise there is an Old North Plank Road. A tavern located on that road claims to be a former toll house from the turnpike days. Another side road, Paffendorf Drive, was known as Old North Plank Road until the early 1960s, when the name was changed to avoid confusion.
- Orange Lake – A lake in the western part of the town. At 440 acres (1.8 km2), it is believed to be the largest lake located entirely within Orange County.
- Orange Lake – A hamlet east of Orange Lake. It was a resort area prior to World War II, and the site of an amusement park prior to 1941. Prior to 1950, a night club on the shore of the lake attracted internationally known performers, such as Frank Sinatra and Benny Goodman. The hamlet is the site of Our Lady of the Lake, one of two Roman Catholic mission churches in the Town of Newburgh. It is also the location of the Dan Leghorn Volunteer Fire Department, founded around 1900.
- Plattekill Turnpike – One of the oldest roads in the Town of Newburgh, appearing on the earliest available maps, it began in the hamlet of Gardnertown just east of the point where Gardnertown Road crosses Quassaick Creek. It proceeded north parallel to the creek, and intersected with North Plank Road in the hamlet of Cronomer Valley at what later became known as Holt's Corner. It then continued north, still parallel to and east of Quassaick Creek, through the hamlet of Savilton (Rossville) and across the Ulster County line into the Town of Plattekill. In the 1920s, the portion north of North Plank Road was designated New York State Route 32. Because Plattekill Turnpike terminated at Gardnertown Road, it could not be used as a cross-town north-south thoroughfare. Union Avenue, however, did extend south into the Town of New Windsor. In order to proceed from Plattekill Turnpike southbound onto Union Avenue southbound, it was necessary to make a sharp right onto Gardnertown Road, continue for half a mile northwest to Gardnertown Church, and then make a sharp left onto Union Avenue. Sometime between 1935 and 1946, Orange County constructed a new road, designated as Union Avenue Extension, as a short cut to eliminate those sharp turns and cut the travel distance in half. The County took over this entire Plattekill Turnpike-Union Avenue Extension-Union Avenue corridor and designated it County Route 28. It quickly became a major north-south thoroughfare. The remainder of Plattekill Turnpike not a part of this corridor, a short stub just north of Gardnertown Road, became a seldom used secondary road. In the early 1980s, the state took over County Route 28 (as well as all of Union Avenue south of Route 52) and redesignated it New York Route 300. Finally, with the adoption of the 911 Emergency renumbering system in the mid-1990s, the name Plattekill Turnpike was totally discontinued and suppressed for all official and postal purposes, with the exception of the small stub south of the former Union Avenue Extension. This small Town road, on which are located Gardnertown Elementary School and about half a dozen houses, is still called Plattekill Turnpike to the consternation of newer residents, since it is not located anywhere near, nor does it lead to, the Town of Plattekill. It also has caused difficulty for persons seeking the Town of Newburgh Justice Court Building, which for many years used to be 105 Plattekill Turnpike. The same building is now designated 311 Route 32.
- Powelton Club – an exclusive private country club in the Hamlet of Balmville, it is one of the ten oldest country clubs in the United States and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Powelton Farms – a development begun in the mid-1950s and which includes the westernmost part of the old Powelton estate, owned for many years by the Ramsdell family. The eastern part of this estate became the Powelton Club in the 1880s. The new routing of Route 9W cut through the center of the estate in the late 1920s. Powelton Farms is the part of the estate west of Route 9W but east of the old Gidney estate. The streets include Powelton Road and Powelton Circle, as well as Sunset Drive, Meadow Street, Chadwick Place, Hideaway Lane, and Catalpa Road. Winding Lane, despite its name, is straight from its beginning on Route 32 to its termination at Catalpa Road. However, old maps at Town Hall indicate that the farm road which was its precursor included the easternmost part of Catalpa Road, which was extremely "winding". It is probably from this, rather than a sense of irony or sarcasm, that "Winding Lane" got its name. Powelton Farms was originally a part of the old Balmville school district and to this day its residents consider themselves Balmville residents. Rob Cohen, the noted motion picture director and producer, grew up in this neighborhood.
- Quassaick Creek – Although mostly known locally as the boundary between the city of Newburgh and town of New Windsor, actually most of the flow of Quassaick Creek is in the town of Newburgh. Made national headlines in the 1980s due to the anti-pollution efforts of Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and his Riverkeeper organization.
- Roseton – for all practical purposes, no longer exists. It was for many years a thriving community anchored around the highly successful brick yards (The Rose Brick Company and The Jova Brick Company) along the banks of the Hudson. It had its own elementary school, grocery store and post office, and even had its own ZIP code (12576) until the mid-1970s. After the brick yards shut down, the Central Hudson Gas & Electric Company purchased them and most of the private property for expansion of its power plants, and demolished all of the homes east of River Road – almost the entire community. Those power plants were sold to the Dynegy energy company in the late 1990s. Our Lady of Mercy chapel, a mission church of St. Mary's Parish in Marlboro, long served the Roman Catholic community in Roseton. It is still in service, and while it has offered only one Mass per week since the expansion of the power plants, most times the Mass is standing room only. It is one of two Roman Catholic Mission Churches in the Town of Newburgh, the other being Our Lady of the Lake at Orange Lake. New York State DOT directional signs still point to the hamlet of Roseton for southbound traffic on Route 9W, indicating correctly that it was one mile (1.6 km) to the east. Northbound traffic, on the other hand, views signage which erroneously identifies the intersection of 9W and Old Post Road to be the hamlet of Roseton. In 1963, the Roseton School District opted to join the Unified Marlboro School District instead of the Newburgh Enlarged City School District, depriving the Newburgh school district of millions of dollars in taxes paid by the power plants. Soon after, Roseton Elementary School was demolished, with the students being sent to the new Middle Hope Elementary School on Overlook Drive.
- Rossville – Rossville is a former hamlet on what is now New York Route 32, just south of the Ulster County border, around the intersection with East Road. All that remains of Rossville as a place name are the building of the former Rossville Methodist Church, now maintained as The Rossville Library Museum, and the Rossville Cemetery, formerly maintained by the church. The congregation of Rossville Methodist Church moved to the former Fostertown Methodist Church when the two merged, with Middle Hope Methodist Church, to form Trinity United Methodist Parish (see below) in 1976.
- Savilton – Savilton and Rossville are the same place. In the 19th century, when postmasters were allowed to choose their own names for post offices, the names switched back and forth as two different postmasters each named the community after their sons.
- Sherwood Forest – a small development laid out in the late 1950s but built in the early 1960s. The original streets all have names taken from the Robin Hood legend (Nottingham Road, Archery Road, Little John Lane, Yeoman Road), as is the name of the development itself. The only outlet from the subdivision is via Innis Avenue and Algonquin Drive, which merge at the entrance to the subdivision.
- Trinity United Methodist Parish – one body of Christian Fellowship incorporated on January 1, 1976, with the merger of the Fostertown, Middle Hope, and Rossville Methodist Churches. The congregation gathers for worship at the former Fostertown Methodist Church, built in 1833 and believed to be the oldest building in the town still used for religious purposes. The church is adjoined by a fellowship hall built in 1966, and a parsonage built in 1964. This church remains today the center of all activity for Trinity Parish. A very short distance to the north of the church building is Fostertown Cemetery, which is maintained by the church. The history of Methodism in Newburgh dates back to 1786 when the Reverend Ezekiel Cooper came to preach at the invitation of Mrs. Arthur Smith, still known to this day as "The Mother of Methodism" in Newburgh. The first Methodist Church in Middle Hope was built in 1822 and was known as the Asbury Chapel. In 1885, the church moved three miles to the north to a building originally built by Presbyterians, and in 1965 moved to Carter Avenue, where the congregation remained until the merger eleven years later. The Rossville Church, built in 1831, is still standing and is now the site of the Rossville Memorial Library.
- Union Grove – also no longer exists. It was a rural hamlet near the junction of Routes 17K and 300 (formerly known as Union Avenue). Today it is wholly commercial. The former Fleet Bank Building, housing commercial offices and currently the Finkelstein and Associates law firm, is the tallest building in the town. It stands on the site of the Union Grove Elementary School, demolished in the early 1980s.
- Wedgewood Park – a development just south of Brewer Road, was planned since the early 1960s but was not finally built until the late 1980s. All of the streets are named after states (Ohio Drive, Vermont Drive, Maine Drive, etc.) The development is prominently visible from the summit of Cronomer Hill.
- Winona Lake – an area around upper and lower Winona Lake along Route 52. The upper lake dried out and became a marshland in the 1960s. The lower lake has also fallen into disrepair due to the recent failure of a man-made dam built in the 1930s. The local homeowners association is debating what action to take towards restoring the lake and is seeking governmental assistance in doing so. The Winona Lake Fire Engine Company is actually located west of the hamlet, closer to Gardnertown. For this reason some commercial maps mislabel the small lake in Algonquin Park as Winona Lake. An elementary school formerly stood on Winona Avenue. Today, this building is occupied by the Penuel Pentecostal Tabernacle.
Read more about this topic: Newburgh (town), New York
Other articles related to "communities and locations in the town, the town, town, location":
... Fey Mill – A hamlet in the south central part of the town ... Creek – (1) A hamlet near the northeast town line ... Prussian Settlement – A location west of West Leyden on County Road 46 at the intersection of Kirk Road ...
... Batten Kill – A river that defines the south town line ... Cossayuna Lake – A lake on the north town line ... Its eastern shore defines part of the town's northern border ...
Famous quotes containing the words town and/or communities:
“Let no one think that I do not love the old ministers. They were, probably, the best men in their generation, and they deserve that their biographies should fill the pages of the town histories. If I could but hear the glad tidings of which they tell, and which, perchance, they heard, I might write in a worthier strain than this.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“The horror of class stratification, racism, and prejudice is that some people begin to believe that the security of their families and communities depends on the oppression of others, that for some to have good lives there must be others whose lives are truncated and brutal.”
—Dorothy Allison (b. 1949)