Original Design Series and Variations
Due to the sheer popularity of the Gundam franchise, especially the mobile suit design, several "Original Design Series" were published. These series are drawings and precise specifications for additional mobile suit units not found in the original animated material:
- Gundam Century (1981)
Gundam Century was a book published on September 22, 1981. At first it is an unofficial anime guide of Mobile Suit Gundam, published by Minori books(みのり書房) as an extra appendix of the monthly magazine 月刊OUT. The book served as the basics of all the technology and realistic demonstration of Gundam, in which at publish, it is a collection of fan material along with interviews and off-time works from the original Gundam creators like Yoshiyuki Tomino, Kunio Okawara and Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. Also collected various real world space exploration science and referenced scientific journals like L5 News, Science, Physics Today. The settings in the book has since then been adopted and endorsed by the official company Sunrise and Bandai. Although most of the numbers and history has since then been changed a few times, (for example, the One Year War started in November 0079 instead of the current official timeline January 0079). the book is regarded as the pioneer of the realism of the Gundam franchise, and is acknowledged in Gundam Official and is republished by as an official publication in the year 2000, named as Gundam Century Renewal Version.
- Mobile Suit Variations (1983)
- Also known as "MSV", these variations exist from the One Year War, and considered to be official and canonical in the Universal Century timeline.
- Mobile Suit X (1984)
- Also known as "MSX", these are new models for a proposed, but never produced new animation series, and considered to be official and canonical in the Universal Century timeline.
- Variations from the Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam series.
- Variations from the Mobile Suit Double Zeta Gundam series.
- Variations from the Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack movie.
- Kunio Okawara's MS Collection (M-MSV)
- Kunio Okawara's personal reinterpretations of his original designs.
- Variations from the Mobile Suit Gundam F91 movie.
- Variations from the Mobile Suit Victory Gundam series.
- Variations from the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED series.
- SEED Destiny MSV
- Variations from the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny series.
- Variations from the Mobile Suit Gundam 00 series.
Famous quotes containing the words variations, series, original and/or design:
“I may be able to spot arrowheads on the desert but a refrigerator is a jungle in which I am easily lost. My wife, however, will unerringly point out that the cheese or the leftover roast is hiding right in front of my eyes. Hundreds of such experiences convince me that men and women often inhabit quite different visual worlds. These are differences which cannot be attributed to variations in visual acuity. Man and women simply have learned to use their eyes in very different ways.”
—Edward T. Hall (b. 1914)
“Every Age has its own peculiar faith.... Any attempt to translate into facts the mission of one Age with the machinery of another, can only end in an indefinite series of abortive efforts. Defeated by the utter want of proportion between the means and the end, such attempts might produce martyrs, but never lead to victory.”
—Giuseppe Mazzini (18051872)
“Presumption is our natural and original malady. The most vulnerable and frail of all creatures is man, and at the same time the most arrogant.”
—Michel de Montaigne (15331592)
“I always consider the settlement of America with reverence and wonder, as the opening of a grand scene and design in providence, for the illumination of the ignorant and the emancipation of the slavish part of mankind all over the earth.”
—John Adams (17351826)