Fruit fly may refer to several organisms:
- Tephritidae, a family of large, colorfully marked flies including agricultural pests
- Vidalia (fruit fly), a genus
- Drosophilidae, a family of smaller flies, including:
- Drosophila, the genus of small fruit flies and vinegar flies
- Drosophila melanogaster or common fruit fly, an important model organism in modern biology
- Drosophila suzukii or Asian fruit fly, native to southeast Asia and an invasive species in North America
- Bactrocera oleae or Olive fruit fly, native to the Eastern Hemisphere and an invasive species in North America
Fruit fly may also refer to:
- Fruit Fly (film), 2009 film directed by H. P. Mendoza
- LGBT slang with a meaning similar to fag hag
Other articles related to "fruit fly, fruits, fruit, fly":
... Mildura is part of the Fruit Fly Exclusion Zone, in which fruits or vegetables may not be taken into the area (they can, however, be taken out) ... This is to stop the fruit fly from invading crops and plantations which could have a devastating effect on the economy ... Disposal bins into which fruit can be disposed of are located along highways entering the zone ...
1982 at the First International Symposium held in Athens, the quadrennial fruit fly symposium for the international fruit fly workers is being well established now with a large number of scientists from all ... The First International Symposium on Fruit Flies of Economic Importance, Athens, Greece, 16–19 November 1982 The Second International Symposium on Fruit ... The Eight International Symposium on Fruit Flies of Economic Importance, Valencia, Spain, 26 September–1 October 2010 ...
... The Queensland fruit fly (Bactrocera tryoni) is a species of tephritid fruit fly native to Australia ... Their larvae hatch in various fruit species, causing significant damage to crops ... The fly has been the subject of extensive control regimes including a Fruit Fly Exclusion Zone where it is forbidden to take fruit, and post-harvest dipping of fruit in dimethoate and ...
Famous quotes containing the words fly and/or fruit:
“In this world of lies, Truth is forced to fly like a scared white doe in the woodlands; and only by cunning glimpses will she reveal herself.”
—Herman Melville (18191891)
“Is it not the chief disgrace in the world, not to be an unit;Mnot to be reckoned one character;Mnot to yield that peculiar fruit which each man was created to bear, but to be reckoned in the gross, in the hundred, or the thousand, of the party, the section, to which we belong; and our opinion predicted geographically, as the north, or the south?”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)