Common may refer to:
- COMMON, the largest association of users of mid-range IBM computers
- Common (horse), a British Thoroughbred racehorse
- Common (liturgy), a part of certain Christian liturgy
- Commoner, someone does not hold a title of peerage
- Common land, land which other people have certain traditional rights such as grazing livestock or collecting firewood
- Town common (see common land above)
- Lingua franca or common language, shared by speakers of different mother tongues
- Vernacular, the common but not scientific name of a plant or animal
- The Common, a nickname of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- COMMON, a Fortran statement
- a translation of tum'ah, a biblical term for ritual impurity, used by some common English translations of the bible
- Dol Common, a character in The Alchemist by Ben Jonson
Other articles related to "common":
... Common-mode signal is the component of an analog signal which is present with one sign on all considered conductors ... In telecommunication, common-mode signal on a transmission line is known as longitudinal voltage ... In electronics where the signal is transferred with differential voltage use, the common-mode signal is called a half-sum of voltages When referenced to the local common or ground, a common-mode signal ...
... is a type of trade bloc which is composed of a free trade area (for goods) with common policies on product regulation, and freedom of movement of the factors of production (capital and labour) and of ... A common market is a first stage towards a single market, and may be limited initially to a free trade area with relatively free movement of capital and of services ... The European Economic Community was the first example of a both common and single market, but it was an economic union since it had additionally a customs union ...
... The common chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes), also known as the robust chimpanzee, is a species of great ape ... Colloquially, the common chimpanzee is often called the chimpanzee (or "chimp"), though technically this term refers to both species in the genus Pan the common chimpanzee and the closely related bonobo ... The common chimpanzee is covered in coarse black hair, but has a bare face, fingers, toes, palms of the hands and soles of the feet ...
... in traditional Irish dance it is popular but somewhat less common in Scottish country dance music ... The most common structure of a jig is two eight-bar parts, performing two different steps, each once on the right foot, and one on the left foot ... types of dance tunes in Irish music, at a session or a dance it is common for two or more jigs to be strung together in a set, flowing on without interruption ...
... People are easily tied to each other by the factor of common race or kinship ... Other common characteristics of the Zomi, as observed by Carey and Tuck are worth mentioning...the main Kuki characteristics can be universally traced as – The slow ...
Famous quotes containing the word common:
“The moment the very name of Ireland is mentioned, the English seem to bid adieu to common feeling, common prudence, and common sense, and to act with the barbarity of tyrants, and the fatuity of idiots.”
—Sydney Smith (17711845)
“There seems to be a common strain of miserliness in the American people when it comes to throwing away toothpaste tubes which have a little left in the bottom.”
—Robert Benchley (18891945)
“Many women cut back what had to be done at home by redefining what the house, the marriage and, sometimes, what the child needs. One woman described a fairly common pattern: I do my half. I do half of his half, and the rest doesnt get done.”
—Arlie Hochschild (20th century)