Some articles on crown:
... Ancient Greek τιάρα, itself from Old Persian tiyārā) is a form of crown ... There are two possible types of crown that this word can refer to ... Traditionally, the word "tiara" refers to a high crown, often with the shape of a cylinder narrowed at its top, made of fabric or leather, and richly ornamented ...
... While crown prince, Sima Shao was known for seeking out talented men and befriendly them, treating them as friends and not as subordinates ... Upon hearing news that Wang had breached Jiankang's defenses, Crown Prince Shao was going to himself make a last stand, but Wen stopped him by cutting off the ropes off his horse ... subsequently forced Emperor Yuan into submission, he considered deposing Crown Prince Shao by falsely accusing Crown Prince Shao of being disobedient to ...
... The Triple Crown of Alpine Skiing consists of three different types of alpine skiing events ... A Triple Crown winner wins all three World Cup titles in one season in or all three Gold medals at the Winter Olympic Games in the following Slalom Giant Slalom ... skier Toni Sailer was the first person to win the Triple Crown of Alpine Skiing at the 1956 Winter Olympics At the 1968 Winter Olympic Games French skier, Jean-Claude ...
... The triple crown of cycling is sometimes defined as winning all three grand tours (Tour de France, Vuelta a España and Giro d'Italia) in a career, although this is sometimes named grand tour triple crown According to ...
... The Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire was recently selected as the main motif for a high value commemorative coin, the €100 Imperial Crown of ... The obverse shows the Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire ... After this of which he had taken place the crown was held as a monument ...
More definitions of "crown":
- (noun): The Crown (or the reigning monarch) as the symbol of the power and authority of a monarchy.
Example: "The colonies revolted against the Crown"
- (noun): The part of a hat (the vertex) covering the crown of the head.
- (noun): A wreath or garland worn on the head to signify victory.
- (verb): Invest with regal power; enthrone.
- (verb): Be the culminating event.
- (noun): The center of a cambered road.
- (noun): An English coin worth 5 shillings.
- (noun): The award given to the champion.
- (noun): An ornamental jewelled headdress signifying sovereignty.
- (verb): Form the topmost part of.
Example: "A weather vane crowns the building"
- (verb): Put an enamel cover on.
Example: "Crown my teeth"
- (noun): The enamel covered part of a tooth above the gum.
Famous quotes containing the word crown:
“a sorrows crown of sorrow is remembering happier things.
Drug thy memories, lest thou learn it, lest thy heart be put to proof,
In the dead unhappy night, and when the rain is on the roof.”
—Alfred Tennyson (18091892)
“The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.”
—Bible: Hebrew Proverbs 16:31.
“Mother of heaven, regina of the clouds,
O sceptre of the sun, crown of the moon,
There is not nothing, no, no, never nothing,
Like the clashed edges of two words that kill.”
—Wallace Stevens (18791955)