More definitions of "collar":
- (noun): A band of leather or rope that is placed around an animal's neck as a harness or to identify it.
- (noun): The act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal).
Example: "The policeman on the beat got credit for the collar"
Synonyms: apprehension, arrest, catch, pinch, taking into custody
- (verb): Seize by the neck or collar.
- (noun): A figurative restraint.
Example: "Asked for a collar on program trading in the stock market"
- (noun): A band that fits around the neck and is usually folded over.
Famous quotes containing the word collar:
“In the U.S. for instance, the value of a homemakers productive work has been imputed mostly when she was maimed or killed and insurance companies and/or the courts had to calculate the amount to pay her family in damages. Even at that, the rates were mostly pink collar and the big number was attributed to the husbands pain and suffering.”
—Gloria Steinem (20th century)