More definitions of "bump":
- (noun): A lump on the body caused by a blow.
- (noun): An impact (as from a collision).
Example: "The bump threw him off the bicycle"
- (noun): Something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from a form.
Synonyms: bulge, hump, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion, excrescence
- (verb): Dance erotically or dance with the pelvis thrust forward.
Example: "Bump and grind"
- (verb): Knock against with force or violence.
Famous quotes containing the word bump:
“Summer is different. We now have breakfast together, for example ... it hasnt happened in so long that were not sure how to go about it. So we bump into each other in the kitchen. I never saw Ozzie and Harriet bump into each other in the kitchennot once. Ozzie knew his place was at the table, while Harriet knew that her place was at the stove.”
—Nathan Cobb (20th century)
“Physics investigates the essential nature of the world, and biology describes a local bump. Psychology, human psychology, describes a bump on the bump.”
—Willard Van Orman Quine (b. 1908)
“I have always thought the suicide shd/ bump off at least one swine before taking off for parts unknown.”
—Ezra Pound (18851972)