A vest is a garment covering the upper body. Often only the back of the upper body though. The term has different meanings around the world:
- (a sleeveless under-jacket). This is called a waistcoat in the UK and many Commonwealth countries, or a vest in the US and Canada. It is often worn as part of formal attire, or as the third piece of a lounge suit.
- (an undergarment, normally worn under a shirt). It is known as an A-shirt or tank top in the US and Canada, vest in the UK and many Commonwealth countries, and singlet in Australia.
- Other sleeveless jackets
- Vest may refer to other outer garments, such as a sports tank top, or a padded sleeveless jacket popular for hunting, commonly known as a hunting vest. Another common variant is the fishing vest which carries a profusion of external pockets for carrying fishing tackle. The term jerkin is also used to refer to this sort of sleeveless outdoor coat.
- A sweater vest (American and Canadian English)
- This may also be called a slipover, sleeveless sweater, or, in British English, a tank top. .
- This Indian garment is commonly called a vest in Indian English.
Read more about Vest: Etymology
Other articles related to "vest":
... Sud-Vest (South West) or Sud-Vest Oltenia is a development region in Romania ... from that reason it is called sometimes Regiunea de dezvoltare Sud-Vest Oltenia.Danube forms boundary between Romania and Serbia/Bulgaria ...
... Agder Kollektivtrafikk AS is a public transport administrator for the county of Vest-Agder, Norway ... It is owned by and works on behalf of Vest-Agder County Municipality and based in Kristiansand ... It also operates the information system for publishing timetables in both Vest-Agder and Aust-Agder ...
... Vest is located at Lat 37.39667, Lon -83.00667. ...
... This is a list of the County Governors (Fylkesmenn) of Vest-Agder, Norway ... County Governors of Vest-Agder Start End Name Born Died 1815 ... Ulrik Frederik Anton de Schouboe 1836 ... Oluf Borch de Schouboe 1777 1844 ...
... notable for inventing a chest wall oscillation device called the Vest Airway Clearance System, or "The Vest", a mechanical vest for clearing the lungs of children with cystic ...
Famous quotes containing the word vest:
“And Truth, in sunny vest arrayed,
By whose the tarsels eyes were made;”
—William Collins (17211759)
“Here at the fountains sliding foot,
Or at some fruit-trees mossy root,
Casting the bodys vest aside,
My soul into the boughs does glide:
There, like a bird, it sits and sings,
Then whets and combs its silver wings,
And, till prepared for longer flights,
Waves in its plumes the various light.”
—Andrew Marvell (16211678)