Substitute may refer to:
- Substitute good: two goods are substitutes in demand if, when the market price of the first good rises, the price of the second good also rises, and vice-versa.
- Ersatz, an artificial replacement differing in kind from and inferior in quality to what it replaces.
- Substitute player
- Substitute (association football)
- Substitute (cricket)
In film and television:
- The Substitute, a 1996 action-crime-thriller film starring Tom Berenger
- The Substitute (soundtrack)
- Substitute (film), a film by Vikash Dhorasoo
- The Substitute (1993 film), a telefilm by Martin Donovan
- The Substitute (2007 film)
- "Substitute" (Beavis and Butt-head episode)
- "The Substitute" (Lost), an episode of Lost
- "The Substitute" (Recess episode)
- "The Substitute", a Season 1 episode of Saved by the Bell
- "The Substitute", a Glee (season 2) episode
- "Substitute" (Clout song)
- "Substitute" (Izabella Scorupco song)
- "Substitute" (Righteous Brothers song)
- "Substitute" (The Who song)
In other uses:
- Substitute (character), a control character used in the place of another character
- Substitute teacher, a temporary replacement that takes over in a teacher's absence
- Substitute flag, part of the International maritime signal flags set
Other articles related to "substitute, substitutes":
... Substitute players that are not in the starting lineup reside on the bench and are available to substitute for a starter ... Substitutes also known as bench players, backups or reserves ... rules football)) rugby league (Interchange) Association Football (Substitute (association football)) Cricket (Substitute (cricket)) basketball (substitute). ...
... He made his debut after coming on as a substitute in the 63rd minute, away to Grimsby Town, in a 2–0 defeat in the League Cup on 12 August ... He joined Conference National side Altrincham on loan on 14 October and made one substitute appearance in a 2–0 defeat to Weymouth ... He came on as a second half substitute for York in a pre-season friendly against Bradford City and he was not offered a contract by York ...
... The Substitute 2 School's Out is a 1998 straight-to-DVD action-crime-thriller film directed by Steven Pearl and starring Treat Williams as Carl Thomasson (later spelled Karl in the ... The film has very little connection to The Substitute, other than Joey Six (Shale's only surviving mercenary in the movie, this time portrayed by Angel David instead of Raymond Cruz) aiding ...
... He made an instant impact after being introduced as a substitute late into the second half winning a penalty after being brought down by an opposing player which resulted in Boussoufa ... He was an unused substitute against Algeria in the Atlas Lions' 1-0 away loss in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifying rounds on the 27th of March 2011 ... Carcela-González has made good progress with the national side, making a substitute appearance against Uganda in the LG Cup and Moroccan Manager ...
Famous quotes containing the word substitute:
“The true artist doesnt substitute immorality for morality. On the contrary, he always substitutes a finer morality for a grosser one.”
—D.H. (David Herbert)
“Although pretend play is important, it is still the means to an end, not the end itself. Do not make the mistake of thinking a contrived, pretend drama can substitute for real interpersonal comfort in dealing with important emotional issues.”
—Stanley I. Greenspan (20th century)
“To approach a city ... as if it were [an] ... architectural problem ... is to make the mistake of attempting to substitute art for life.... The results ... are neither life nor art. They are taxidermy.”
—Jane Jacobs (b. 1916)