The Pennsylvania Railroad's MP54 class of electric multiple unit cars was their first and largest class of this type of car. The class was initially constructed as an unpowered locomotive hauled coach for suburban operations, but were designed with the capacity to be rebuilt into self-propelled MU as electrification plans were realized. The first of these self-propelled cars were placed in service with the PRR subsidiary Long Island Rail Road with DC propulsion in 1908 and soon spread to the Philadelphia-based network of low frequency AC electrified suburban lines in 1915. Eventually the cars came to be used throughout the railroad's electrified network from Washington, DC to New York City and Harrisburg, PA. The ubiquitous cars became a commuting tradition during their long years of service in several major cities. and were known as "red cars" or "red rattlers". The cars ran in service with the PRR until the Penn Central merger in 1968 at which point they were already being marked for replacement by new technology railcars such as the Budd M1 and Pioneer III. After the bankruptcy of the Penn Central the remaining MP54's found themselves being operated by Conrail under contract with local commuter rail authorities. The last MP54 cars were retired in 1980-81 while engaged in Philadelphia suburban service with SEPTA.
Read more about PRR MP54: Steel Suburban Cars, Early DC MP54's, AC Cars For PRR Suburban Service, Service History, Disposition of Remaining MP54 Cars, MP54 Cars On Other Railroads, Other Cars With Porthole Windows
Other articles related to "prr mp54, mp54, prr":
58 seats, and were otherwise similar to the MP54 design ... The cars were partly owned by PRR, were painted in PRR colors, had 46 ft (14 m) passenger compartments, 48 ft (15 m) overall length, 44 seats, and had ... After the 923 car fleet of MP54-type cars was delivered to the LIRR between 1908 and 1930, the railroads followed up by purchasing 63 similar longer bilevel cars ...