Publications and Media
Hotez is the author of more than 260 scientific and technical papers on NTDs. In addition he is the author of “Forgotten People, Forgotten Diseases: The Neglected Tropical Diseases and Their Impact on Global Health and Development,” co-author of “Parasitic Diseases, 5th Edition,” a co-editor of Krugman's Infectious Diseases of Children, 11th Edition, and will be a co-editor for the forthcoming editions of Manson's Tropical Diseases and Feigin and Cherry's Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. In addition, Hotez writes frequently for lay audiences, including papers in Scientific American and op-ed pieces in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and Huffington Post. He has been interviewed on numerous national TV and news programs, such as CNN, NPR, Charlie Rose and PRI. He has also consulted for popular television shows that highlight tropical diseases, including House and Private Practice.
Selected scientific publications (selected from 260):
- Hotez PJ, Brooker S, Bethony JM, Bottazzi ME, Loukas A, Xiao S. Hookworm infection. NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, 2004; 351: 799-807.
- Hotez PJ, Molyneux DH, Fenwick A, Kumaresan J, Sachs SE, Sachs JD, Savioli L. Control of neglected tropical diseases. NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, 2007; 357: 1018-27.
- Hotez PJ. Neglected infections of poverty in the United States of America. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2008; 2: e256.
- Hotez PJ, Fenwick A, Savioli L, Molyneux DH. Rescuing the “bottom billion” through neglected tropical disease control. THE LANCET, 2009; 373: 1570-4.
- Hotez PJ. The neglected tropical diseases and their devastating health and economic impact on the member nations of the organization of the Islamic conference. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2009; 3: e539.
- Hotez PJ. Nuclear weapons and neglected diseases: the “ten thousand to one gap.” PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2010; 4: e680.
- Hotez PJ. A plan to defeat neglected tropical diseases. SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, 2010; 302: 90-6.
- Hotez PJ. New antipoverty drugs, vaccines, and diagnostics: a research agenda for the US President’s Global Health Initiative (GHI). PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2011; 5: e1133.
- Hotez PJ. America’s most distressed areas and their neglected infections: the United States Gulf Coast and the District of Columbia. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2011; 5: e843.
- Hotez PJ, Neeraj M, Rubinstein J, Sachs DJ. Integrating neglected tropical diseases into HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria control. NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, 2011; 364: 2086-9.
- Hotez PJ.A handful of ‘antipoverty’ vaccines exist for neglected diseases, but the world’s poorest billion need more. HEALTH AFFAIRS (MILWOOD), 2011; 30: 1080-7.
- Loukas A, Gaze S, Mulvenna JP, Gasser RB, Brindley PJ, Doolan DL, Bethony JM, Jones MK, Gobert GN, Driguez P, McManus DP, Hotez PJ. Vaccinomics for the major blood feeding helminthes of humans. OMICS, 2011; 15: 567-77.
- Hotez PJ. Unleashing “civilian power”: a new American diplomacy through neglected tropical disease control, elimination, research, and development. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2011; 5: e1134.
- Hotez PJ, Gurwith M. Europe’s neglected infections of poverty. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES, 2011; 15: e611-9.
- Noblick J, Skolnik R, Hotez PJ. Linking global HIV/AIDS treatments with national programs for the control and elimination of the neglected tropical diseases. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2011; 5: e1022.
- Hotez PJ, Alibek K. Central Asia’s hidden burden of neglected tropical diseases. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2011; 5: e1224.
- Lobo DP, Velayudhan R, Chatterjee P, Kohl H, Hotez PJ. The neglected tropical diseases of India and South Asia: review of their prevalence, distribution, and control or elimination. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2011; 5: e1222.
- Hotez PJ, Goraleski K. Neglected tropical diseases and the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2011; 5: e1431.
- Hotez PJ, Aksoy S. An interfaith dialogue on the neglected tropical diseases. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2011; 5: e1240.
- Hotez PJ. Enlarging the “audacious goal”: Elimination of the world’s high prevalence neglected tropical diseases. VACCINE, 2011; 29S: D104-110.
- Hotez PJ, Savioli L, Fenwick A. Neglected tropical diseases of the Middle East and North Africa: Review of their prevalence, distribution, and opportunities for control. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2012; 6: e1475.
- Pearson MS, Pickering DA, Tribolet L, McSorley HJ, Bethony JM, Dougall AM, Hotez PJ, Loukas A. Enhanced protective efficacy of chimeric forms of the schistosomiasis vaccine antien Sm-TSP-2. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2012; 6: 1564.
- Hotez PJ, Bottazzi ME, Dumonteil E, Kamhawi E, Valenzuela J, Ortega J, Ponce de Leon Rosales S, Betancourt Cravioto M, Tapia-Conyer R. Texas and Mexico: Sharing a Legacy of Poverty and Neglected Tropical Diseases. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2012; 6: e1497.
- Molyneux D, Malecela M, Savioli L, Fenwick A, Hotez P. Will increased funding for neglected tropical diseases really make poverty history? authors' reply. LANCET, 2012; 379: 1098-1100.
- Moolani Y, Bukhman G, Hotez PJ. Neglected tropical diseases as hidden causes of cardiovascular disease. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2012; 6: e1499.
- Hotez PJ, Dumonteil E, Woc-Colburn L, Serpa-Alvarez JA, Bezek S, Edwards MS, Hallmark CJ, Musselwhite LW, Flink BJ, Bottazzi ME. Chagas disease: the new HIV/AIDS of the Americas. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2012; 6: e1498.
- Hotez PJ. American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene Presidential Address. The four horsemen of the apocalypse: tropical medicine in the fight against plague, death, famine, and war. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE, 2012; 87: 3-10.
- Plieskatt JL, Rezende WC, Olsen CM, Trefethen JM, Joshi SB, Middaugh CR, Hotez PJ, Bottazzi ME. Advances in vaccines against neglected tropical diseases. Enhancing physical stability of a recombinant hookworm vaccine through biophysical and formulation studies. HUMAN VACCINES AND IMMUNOTHERAPEUTICS, 2012; 8: 765-76.
- Hotez PJ, Asojo O, Adesina A. Nigeria: ‘Ground zero’ for the neglected tropical diseases. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2012; 6: e1600.
- Goud GN, Deumic V, Gupta R, Brelsford J, Zhan B, Gillespie P, Rezende W, Plieskatt JI, Hotez PJ, Bottazzi ME. Expression, purification, and molecular analysis of the Necator americanus glutathione S-transferase (Na-GST-1): a produciton process developed for a lead candidate recombinant hookworm vaccine antigen. PROTEIN EXPRESSION AND PURIFICATION, 2012; 83: 145-51.
- Diemert DJ, Pinto AG, Freire J, Jariwala A, Hamilton RG, Periago MV, Loukas A, Tribolet L, Mulvenna J, Correa-Oliveira R, Hotez PJ, Bethony JM. Generalized urticaria induced by the Na-ASP-2 hookworm vaccine – implications for the development of vaccines against helminths. JOURNAL OF ALLERGY AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY, 2012; 130: 169-76.
- Zhan B, Santiago H, Keegan B, Gillespie P, Xue J, Bethony J, de Oliveira LM, Jiang D, Diemert D, Xiao SH, Jones K, Feng X, Hotez PJ, Bottazzi ME. Fusion of Na-ASP-2 with human immunoglobulin Fcγ abrogates histamine release from basophils sensitized with anti-Na-ASP-2 IgE. PARASITE IMMUNOLOGY, 2012; 34: 404-11.
- Barry MA, Bezek S, Serpa-Alvarez J, Hotez PJ, Woc-Colburn L. Neglected infections of poverty in Texas and the United States: management and treatment options. CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY AND THERAPEUTICS, 2012; 92: 170-81
- Lee BY, Bacon KM, Wateska AR, Bottazzi ME, Dumonteil E, Hotez PJ. Modeling the economic value of a Chagas’ disease therapeutic vaccine. HUMAN VACCINES AND IMMUNOTHERAPEUTICS, 2012; 8: 1-9.
- Hotez PJ. Fighting neglected tropical diseases in the southern United States. BMJ, 2012; 345: e6112.
- Hotez PJ, Aksoy S Now we are six. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2012; 6: e1862.
- Dumonteil E, Bottazzi ME, Zhan B, Heffernan MJ, Jones K, Valenzuela J, Kamhawi S, Ortega J, Ponce de Leon Rosales S, Lee BY, Bacon KM, Fleischer B, Slingsby BT, Betancourt Cravioto M, Tapia-Conyer R, Hotez PJ. Accelerating the development of a therapeutic vaccine for human Chagas disease: Rationale and prospects. EXPERT REVIEW OF VACCINES, 2012; 11: 1043-55.
- Hotez PJ. Engaging a rising China through neglected tropical diseases. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES, 2012; 6: e1599.
- Jiang S, Bottazzi ME, Du L, Lustigman S, Tseng C-TK, Curti E, Jones K, Zhan B, Hotez PJ. Roadmap to developing a recombinant coronavirus S protein receptor-binding domain (RBD-S) vaccine sor severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). EXPERT REVIEW OF VACCINES, 2012; 11: 1405-13.
- Bacon KM, Hotez PJ, Kruchten SD, Kamhawi S, Bottazzi ME, Valenzuela JG, Lee BY. The Potential Economic Value of a Cutaneous Leishmaniasis Vaccine in Seven Endemic Countries in the Americas. VACCINE, 2013; 31: 480-6.
- Hotez PJ. In India’s forgotten diseases, an opportunity. THE HINDU, March 8, 2011.
- Hotez PJ. School takes on ancient scourges. HOUSTON CHRONICLE, August 21, 2011.
- Hotez P. A new tropical medicine clinic for ‘third world America’. HUFFINGTON POST, October 27, 2011.
- Hotez P. Engaging Iran through vaccine diplomacy. MILLER-McCUNE, November 30, 2011.
- Hotez P, Kazura J. A military cutback we can’t afford: fighting tropical diseases. THE ATLANTIC, January 19, 2012.
- Hotez P. The London Declaration: a tipping point for the world’s poor. HUFFINGTON POST, January 30, 2012.
- Hotez P. Saving 7 million pregnancies in Africa. HUFFINGTON POST, March 19, 2012.
- Hotez PJ. Tropical diseases: the new plague of poverty. THE NEW YORK TIMES, August 19, 2012.
- Hotez PJ. Campaign spending: what else can $2 billion buy? HUFFINGTON POST, November 13, 2102.
- Hotez PJ. Combating diseases of poverty requires joint US-Middle East effort. GLOBALPOST, November 19, 2012.
- Hotez PJ. A reunification Rx for Korea. LOS ANGELES TIMES, January 24, 2013.
Read more about this topic: Peter Hotez
Other articles related to "publications and media, media, publications, publication":
... There are six media organizations on campus The Stentor, the official student-run weekly newspaper, which also publishes The Chive Tusitala, first printed in 1935 ...
... the General Excellence category (the highest category) for collegiate news publications at the New Jersey Press Association awards ... The Seal is TCNJ's yearbook, which has been in publication since 1911 ... TCNJ Magazine is another publication, covering both current campus life and alumni affairs ...
... The Bryan/College Station Eagle (Main newspaper) The Battalion (Texas A M) The Press Insite Magazine (Local magazine - monthly publication). ...
... A compilation of interviews of road crash victims and their families to memorialize and inspire road safety choices that save lives ... ASIRT on the Today Show ...
Famous quotes containing the words media and/or publications:
“The media have just buried the last yuppie, a pathetic creature who had not heard the news that the great pendulum of public conciousness has just swung from Greed to Compassion and from Tex-Mex to meatballs.”
—Barbara Ehrenreich (b. 1941)
“Dr. Calder [a Unitarian minister] said of Dr. [Samuel] Johnson on the publications of Boswell and Mrs. Piozzi, that he was like Actaeon, torn to pieces by his own pack.”
—Horace Walpole (17171797)