Overhead may be:
- Overhead (business), the ongoing operating costs of running a business
- Engineering overhead, ancillary design features required by a component of a device
- Computational overhead, ancillary computation required by an algorithm or program
- Overhead information, for telecommunication systems
- File system overhead, storage or other consideration required by a file system that is not directly related to data.
- Any physical object situated, or action occurring above:
- Overhead wire, for power transmission
- Overhead cable, for signal transmission
- Overhead projector, a display system
- Overhead cam, a mechanical device
- Overhead join, in air traffic control
- Overhead (band), a Finnish progressive rock band
Other articles related to "overhead":
... protocols, encryption, and other factors can add appreciable overhead ... though in many modern implementations is efficient, does add significant overhead compared to simpler protocols ... any effective digital communication, a framing protocol is needed overhead and effective throughput depends on implementation ...
... The processing overhead of the TPDU has two components the overhead TPDU and the overhead per byte ...
... substations and fed through 1.07 cm diameter overhead line equipment (OHLE) wire ... The substations convert the 11 kV AC supply into 750 V DC supply into the overhead ... Hill Langsett Road, Capel Street Middlewood The overhead line equipment depends on the location ...
... The overhead cams were driven by a vertical shaft with beveled-gear ends, and the cylinder-head had a hemispherical head combustion chamber ... Besides the overhead cams, there were other technological applications that were unheard of in the day… like demountable cylinder heads on steel cylinders splayed at 75 ...
... is capable of running under 1,500 V DC overhead wires or on battery power alone a distance of up to 50 km away from an overhead power supply ... The batteries are charged via the pantograph either when running under an overhead electric supply or at a specially built recharging facility ... of running as an EMU under 1,500 V DC overhead wires or on battery power alone on non-electrified lines ...
Famous quotes containing the word overhead:
“What a fog! Plane been buzzin around overhead for the last half hour. Must be like trying to find your way through the inside of a cow. I never did see such a country. Even the birds are walkin.”
—Dalton Trumbo (19051976)
“Theres something wonderfully exciting about the quiet sing song of an aeroplane overhead with all the guns in creation lighting out at it, and searchlights feeling their way across the sky like antennae, and the earth shaking snort of the bombs and the whimper of shrapnel pieces when they come down to patter on the roof.”
—John Dos Passos (18961970)
“During a walk or in a book or in the middle of an embrace, suddenly I awake to a stark amazement at everything. The bare fact of existence paralyzes me... To be alive is so incredible that all I can do is to lie still and merely breathelike an infant on its back in a cot. It is impossible to be interested in anything in particular while overhead the sun shines or underneath my feet grows a single blade of grass.”
—W.N.P. Barbellion (18891919)