Synonyms and Translations
The proverbial "first word" of an infant often sounds like "ma" or "mama". This strong association of that sound with "mother" has persisted in nearly every language on earth, countering the natural localization of language.
Familiar or colloquial terms for mother in English are:
- Mom and mommy are used in the United States, Canada, South Africa, Philippines, and India.
- Mum and mummy are used in the United Kingdom, Canada, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, Hong Kong and Ireland. Charles, Prince of Wales publicly addressed his mother Queen Elizabeth II as "Mummy" on the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee.
- Ma, mam, and mammy are used in Netherlands, Ireland, the Northern areas of the United Kingdom, and Wales; it is also used in some areas of the United States.
In many other languages, similar pronunciations apply:
- Maa, aai, amma, and mata are used in India
- Mamá, mama, ma, and mami in Spanish
- Mama in Polish, German, Russian and Slovak
- Māma (妈妈/媽媽) in Chinese
- Máma in Czech and in Ukrainian
- Maman in French and Persian
- Ma, mama in Indonesian
- Mamma in Italian, Icelandic, Latvian and Swedish
- Mamãe or mãe in Portuguese
- Mā̃ (ਮਾਂ) in Punjabi
- Mama in Swahili
- Em (אם) in Hebrew
- Ima (אמא) in Aramaic
- Má or mẹ in Vietnamese
- Mam in Welsh
- Eomma (엄마, ) in Korean
- In many south Asian cultures and the Middle East, the mother is known as amma, oma, ammi or "ummi", or variations thereof. Many times, these terms denote affection or a maternal role in a child's life.
Read more about this topic: Mother
Other articles related to "synonyms, synonym, synonyms and translations":
... Corydoras aeneus (Bronze corydoras) - Synonyms Hoplosoma aeneum, C ... axelrodi (Pink corydoras) Corydoras baderi - Synonym C ... bondi (Blackstripe corydoras) Corydoras breei Corydoras brevirostris - Synonym C ...
... Synonyms of S ... Rutiodon adamanensis Leptosuchus adamanensis Synonyms of S ... Rutiodon gregorii Leptosuchus gregorii Synonyms of S ...
... Familiar or colloquial terms for mother in English are Mom and mommy are used in the United States, Canada, South Africa, Philippines, and India ... Mum and mummy are used in the United Kingdom, Canada, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, Hong Kong and Ireland ...
... Rocroi, 2005) Ariophantinae Godwin-Austen, 1888 - synonyms Naninidae Pfeffer, 1878 (inv.) Hemiplectinae Gude B ... Woodward, 1921 Macrochlamydinae Godwin-Austen, 1888 - synonyms Tanychlamydinae H ... Schileyko, 2003 Ostracolethinae Simroth, 1901 - synonyms Myotestidae Collinge, 1902 Parmarioninae Godwin-Austen, 1908 Laocaiini Schileyko, 2002 Microparmarionini Schileyko, 2003 ...
Famous quotes containing the words translations and/or synonyms:
“Woe to the world because of stumbling blocks! Occasions for stumbling are bound to come, but woe to the one by whom the stumbling block comes!”
—Bible: New Testament, Matthew 18:7.
Other translations use temptations.
“I am an anarchist in politics and an impressionist in art as well as a symbolist in literature. Not that I understand what these terms mean, but I take them to be all merely synonyms of pessimist.”
—Henry Brooks Adams (18381918)