Succession By Salic Law
- HH Karl Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern (b. 1952)
- HSH Alexander, Hereditary Prince of Hohenzollern (b. 1987)
- HSH Prince Albrecht of Hohenzollern (b. 1954)
- HSH Prince Ferdinand of Hohenzollern (b. 1960)
- HSH Prince Aloys of Hohenzollern (b. 1999)
- HSH Prince Fidelis of Hohenzollern (b. 2001)
- HSH Prince Johann-Georg of Hohenzollern (b. 1932)
- HSH Prince Carl Christian of Hohenzollern (b. 1962)
- HSH Prince Nicolas of Hohenzollern (b. 1999)
- HSH Prince Hubertus of Hohenzollern (b. 1966)
- HSH Prince Ferfried of Hohenzollern (b. 1943)
- HSH Prince Meinrad of Hohenzollern (b. 1925)
- HSH Prince Carl Alexander of Hohenzollern (b. 1970)
- Carlos Patrick von Hohenzollern (styled Prince of Hohenzollern) (b. 1978)
In case of the disappearance without any direct male heirs of all eligible Hohenzollerns or of their refusal to accept the throne, according to the article 78 of the last democratic royal Constitution of Romania from 1923, the throne becomes vacant. In this situation, according to the article 78, the last reigning King has the right to nominate a foreign prince from a reigning royal or princely dynasty of Western Europe as successor subject to the Parliament's approval per article 79, a right which was turned down by King Michael, who nominated his daughter as successor and denied to any foreign prince any succession right through his new Statute. The Parliament incurs the final responsibility, according to the article 79, of electing a King from a reigning royal or princely dynasty of Western Europe, if prior to his investiture he had committed to raise his descendants in the Eastern Orthodox faith to comply with the article 77 of the Constitution.
In 1997, the Romanian monarchist leaders intended to ask Michael to designate a male heir-presumptive from the German branch of the family, in keeping with the rules of the last royal Constitution. They eventually agreed on a compromise and requested him to designate a male rather than female heir-presumptive, in the person of Michael's grandson, Prince Nicholas. Under the influence of Anne (Michael's wife), the former King rejected the monarchists' request and at the end of 1997, he designated his first born, Princess Margarita, as heiress-presumptive.
In a 2009 interview, Karl Friedrich, then Hereditary Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, stated the he was not interested in the Romanian throne.
Read more about this topic: Line Of Succession To The Former Romanian Throne
Famous quotes containing the words law and/or succession:
“At the end of one millennium and nine centuries of Christianity, it remains an unshakable assumption of the law in all Christian countries and of the moral judgment of Christians everywhere that if a man and a woman, entering a room together, close the door behind them, the man will come out sadder and the woman wiser.”
—H.L. (Henry Lewis)
“the negro Babo took by succession each Spaniard forward, and asked him whose skeleton that was, and whether, from its whiteness, he should not think it a whites.”
—Herman Melville (18191891)