Laboratory B in Sungul’ was one of the laboratories under the 9th Chief Directorate of the NKVD (MVD after 1946) that contributed to the Soviet atomic bomb project. It was created in 1946 and closed in 1955, when some of its personnel were merged with the second Soviet nuclear design and assembly facility. It was run as a sharashka – a secret scientific facility run as a prison. Laboratory B employed German scientists from 1947 to 1953. It had two scientific divisions, radiochemistry and radiobiophysics; the latter was headed by the world-renowned geneticist N. V. Timofeev-Resovskij. For two years, the renowned German chemist, Nikolaus Riehl was the scientific director.
Other articles related to "laboratory b":
... Gavril’chenko (editors) Laboratory B ... The Sungul’ Phenomena ... Sungul’ Conference, August 2000, Vestnik Instituta Biologii Komi NTs UrO RAN Issue 36, 2000 Kruglov, Arkadii The History of the Soviet Atomic Industry (Taylor and Francis, 2002) Maddrell, Paul "Spying on Science ...
Famous quotes containing the word laboratory:
“With all of its bad influences, T.V. is not to be feared.... It can be a fairly safe laboratory for confronting, seeing through, and thus being immunized against unhealthy values so as to be in the world but not of it.”
—Polly Berrien Berends (20th century)