- January's birthstone is the garnet which represents constancy.
- Its birth flower is the cottage pink Dianthus caryophyllus or galanthus.
- The Chinese floral emblem of January is the Prunus mume.
- The Japanese floral emblem of January is the camellia (Camellia sinensis).
- In Finland, the month of Tammikuu means the heart of the winter and because the name also means Oak, it can be inferred that the oak tree is the heart of grand forest with many valuable trees as opposed to the typical Arctic forests which are typically pine and spruce. The photograph of a large tree covered with ice against a blue sky is a familiar scene during Finland's winter.
- The Zodiac signs for the month of January are Capricorn (until January 19) and Aquarius (January 20 onwards).
- The traditional English birth month flower is the Carnation
Read more about this topic: January
Famous quotes containing the word symbols:
“Eloquence must be grounded on the plainest narrative. Afterwards, it may warm itself until it exhales symbols of every kind and color, speaks only through the most poetic forms; but first and last, it must still be at bottom a biblical statement of fact.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)