Systematics and Evolution
- Diomedea epomophora, Southern Royal Albatross
- Diomedea sanfordi, Northern Royal Albatross
- Diomedea exulans, Wandering Albatross
- Diomedea antipodensis, Antipodean Albatross
- Diomedea antipodensis gibsoni, Gibson's Albatross
- Diomedea dabbenena, Tristan Albatross
- Diomedea amsterdamensis, Amsterdam Albatross
The earliest known fossils of the genus are from the Middle Miocene, about 12-15 mya. By that time, the genera Phoebastria and Diomedea had already diverged.
- Diomedea milleri (Round Mountain Silt Middle Miocene of Sharktooth Hill and possibly Astoria Middle Miocene of Oregon, USA)
- Diomedea sp. (Late Miocene of Valdez Peninsula, Antarctica)
- Diomedea sp. (Early Pliocene of South Africa)
- Diomedea sp. (Early Pliocene of Bone Valley, Florida)
- Diomedea thyridata Wilkinson, 1969 (Upper Miocene, Beaumaris Bay Fossil Site, Australia)
At least 4 species were found in the Early Pliocene deposits of Lee Creek Mine, North Carolina. These may in part be identical with the forms mentioned above. Assignment of the undescribed taxa to Diomedea is tentative since most of them were discovered before the splitting of this genus. Especially the Southern Hemisphere species probably belong to other genera.
Read more about this topic: Great Albatross
Other articles related to "systematics and, systematics and evolution":
... Systematics and the Origin of Species from the Viewpoint of a Zoologist is a book written by zoologist and evolutionary biologist Ernst Mayr that was first published in 1942 by Columbia University Press ... Systematics and the Origin of Species On Ernst Mayr's 100th Anniversary was also published in commemoration ...
... Hoazinavis is an extinct genus of early hoatzin from Late Oligocene and Early Miocene (about 24–22 mya) deposits of Brazil ... It was collected in 2008 from the Tremembé Formation of São Paulo, Brazil ...
... The Neelipleona were originally seen as a particular advanced lineage of Symphypleona, based on the shared global body shape ... But the global body of Neelipleona is realised in a completely different way than in Symphypleona ...
Famous quotes containing the word evolution:
“The more specific idea of evolution now reached isa change from an indefinite, incoherent homogeneity to a definite, coherent heterogeneity, accompanying the dissipation of motion and integration of matter.”
—Herbert Spencer (18201903)