- Toor dal, i.e. yellow pigeon peas, is available either plain or oily. It is the main ingredient for the South Indian recipe called sambar. In Karnataka it is called Togari bele.
- Chana dal is produced by removing the outer layer of kala chana (black chickpeas) and then splitting the kernel. Although machines can do this, it can also be done at home by soaking the whole chickpeas and removing the loose skins by rubbing.
- Yellow split peas, while not commonly used on the Indian sub-continent, are very prevalent in the Indian communities of Guyana and Trinidad, and were formerly popular amongst Indians in the United States. There, it is referred to generically as dal and is the most popular dal, although masoor dal and toor dal are also used. It is prepared similarly to dals found in India, but also may be used in a variety of other recipes.
- Kala chana are small chickpeas with brown skins. In the US and Canada, it is known as Desi chickpea and the variety most used is called 'Myles'. It is very disease resistant.
- Kabuli dal, known for its black coat, is an average-sized chickpea. It grows naturally with the black coat, and it is said to be nuttier in flavor.
- Mung dal is known as mung bean.
- Lobiya dal - black-eyed bean
- Urad dal, sometimes referred to as "black gram", is the main ingredient of the South Indian dishes: idli and dosa. It is also one of the main ingredients of East Indian (oriya and Bengali or Assamese) pitha. The Punjabi version is dal makhani. In Karnataka it is called Uddina bele.
- Masoor dal is red lentils. In Karnataka it is called Kempu (red) Togari bele.
- Rajma dal - kidney beans
- Mussyang is from dals of various colors found in various hilly regions of Nepal.
Read more about this topic: Dal
Other articles related to "common varieties, common":
... pad or khao phad) The flavor of this version is radically different from that of common fried rice, mostly due to the use of jasmine rice, and it has various additions not found in Chinese versions ... It is a common, everyday breakfast dish ... Hawaiian fried rice A common style of fried rice in Hawaii, it usually contains egg, green onions, peas, cubed carrots, and either Portuguese sausage or Spam ...
Famous quotes containing the words varieties and/or common:
“Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone.”
—Bible: New Testament, 1 Corinthians 12:4-6.
“Nothing is more repugnant to me than brotherly feelings grounded in the common baseness people see in one another.”
—Milan Kundera (b. 1929)