The United States Commercial Service (CS) is the trade promotion arm of the U.S. Department of Commerce's International Trade Administration, which helps U.S. companies succeed in markets around the world. Led by Assistant Secretary of Commerce and Director General Suresh Kumar and located across the United States and in U.S. embassies and consulates in nearly 80 countries, the CS global network of trade professionals helps thousands of U.S. companies to export goods and services worth billions of dollars every year.
The impact of this work ripples throughout the U.S. economy—broadening and deepening the U.S. exporter base, removing obstacles to the export success of U.S. small- and medium-sized companies, advancing U.S. business interests abroad, and supporting job creation in the United States. In 2009, the CS helped in more than 12,000 export transactions in nearly 200 international markets worth billions of dollars. Further information
The CS helps small- and medium-sized American businesses increase international sales by providing:
- Online and customized market research.
- Support for U.S. exhibitors in selected overseas and domestic trade shows to attract qualified business partners.
- Fee-based programs to introduce exporters of U.S. products to qualified buyers and distributors.
- Individualized trade counseling and advocacy.
- Training programs on subjects such as export documentation, export controls, and the basics of exporting.
- An export promotion magazine and website for U.S. exporters to reach international buyers, Commercial News USA.
The U.S. Commercial Service, through its Strategic Corporate Partnership program, has Public Private Partnership agreements with 17 private organizations, including several banks, legal and regulatory organizations, transportation and shipping organizations, event organizers, trade risk service companies and ThinkGlobal Inc., the publisher of Commercial News USA, the official export promotion magazine of the U.S. Department of Commerce. ThinkGlobal Inc. works with the U.S. Commercial Service to help U.S. colleges and universities recruit international students. A multimedia website for international student recruitment is available at ThinkEducationUSA.