Christchurch's local government is a democracy with various elements including:
- Christchurch City Council, comprising the Mayor of Christchurch, and 13 councillors elected in seven wards.
- Community boards (six in the pre-amalgamation city area), each covering one ward, with five members each plus the two ward councillors. The Banks Peninsula ward has two community boards with five members each, plus the ward councillor, who is also a member of each board.
- District councils in surrounding areas: Selwyn, and Waimakariri. The Banks Peninsula district council was amalgamated into Christchurch City in March 2006 after a vote by the Banks Peninsula residents to disestablish in November 2005.
- Canterbury Regional Council, known as 'Environment Canterbury', including four Christchurch constituencies with two members from each constituency.
- District Health Board (Canterbury), with five members for Christchurch.
In 1993, Christchurch was selected as the "Best Run City in the World", also known as the 'Carl Bertelsmann Prize: Local Government', by the Bertelsmann Foundation of Germany. Especially noted was the increased efficiency of communal services in competition with private enterprises. Christchurch shared the award honour with Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
Some of the local governments in Canterbury and the New Zealand Transport Agency have created the Greater Christchurch Urban Development Strategy to facilitate future urban planning.
Read more about this topic: Christchurch
Other articles related to "government":
... The austerity measures introduced by the government are in part an attempt to fulfill the Maastricht criteria ... Total government spending is high ... financial-sector funding pressures and the general government debt which is of 81% of GDP (2010) ...
... republic, whereby the Prime Minister is the head of government, and of a multi-party system ... Executive power is exercised by the government ... Legislative power is vested in both the government and parliament ...
... Cornelis Lely (after whom Lelystad is named) was an ardent supporter, an engineer and later government minister, whose 1891 plan formed the basis for what were to become ... of Transport and Public Works in 1913, the government started working on official plans to enclose the Zuiderzee ... salt water inlet The Dienst der Zuiderzeewerken (Zuiderzee Works Department), the government body responsible for overseeing the construction and initial management ...
... Each operate their own municipal government, united they form one city government with its own constitution ... The city government also has a judicial branch based on the post-transitional judicial system as outlined by the High Representative's “High Judicial and ... Local communities have a small role in city government and are intended as a way for ordinary citizens to get involved in city government ...
Famous quotes containing the word government:
“Government is an evil; it is only the thoughtlessness and vices of men that make it a necessary evil. When all men are good and wise, government will of itself decay.”
—Percy Bysshe Shelley (17921822)
“Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.”
—Thomas Jefferson (17431826)
“Good government cannot be found on the bargain-counter. We have seen samples of bargain-counter government in the past when low tax rates were secured by increasing the bonded debt for current expenses or refusing to keep our institutions up to the standard in repairs, extensions, equipment, and accommodations. I refuse, and the Republican Party refuses, to endorse that method of sham and shoddy economy.”
—Calvin Coolidge (18721933)