Francization of traditional English "Bullen", Boleyn is the surname of a noble English family particularly prominent in the Tudor period, members of which include:
- Anne Boleyn, the second wife of Henry VIII
- Elizabeth Boleyn, Countess of Wiltshire, mother of Anne Boleyn
- Elizabeth Boleyn, Lady Boleyn
- Geoffrey Boleyn, Lord Mayor of London
- George Boleyn (dean)
- George Boleyn, Viscount Rochford, brother of Anne
- James Boleyn
- Jane Boleyn, Viscountess Rochford
- Mary Boleyn, Anne's sister and long-term mistress of Henry VIII
- Thomas Boleyn, 1st Earl of Wiltshire, father of Anne, George and Mary, courtier and ambassador
- Lady Margaret Butler, married name Boleyn, mother of the above
The name also occurs in:
- Boleyn Ground in London, often also known as Upton Park, the football stadium of West Ham United F.C.
Other articles related to "boleyn":
... Anna Boleyn is a 1920 German historical film directed by Ernst Lubitsch ... It starred Henny Porten as Anne Boleyn and Emil Jannings as King Henry VIII ...
... prominently in the novels Brief Gaudy Hour A Novel of Anne Boleyn by Margaret Campbell Barnes (1949) Anne Boleyn by Evelyn Anthony (1957) The Concubine A Novel Based Upon the Life of Anne Boleyn by Norah ... Aileen Armitage (Aileen Quigley) (1974) The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper (1983) The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (2001) Philippa Gregory later nominated Mary as her personal heroine in an ... The Other Boleyn Girl was made into a BBC television drama in January 2003, starring Natascha McElhone as Mary and Jodhi May as Anne ...
... Margaret Butler as Grandmother Boleyn appears in the 2002 Philippa Gregory novel The Other Boleyn Girl ... Margaret lived in the Boleyn estate in Hever Castle, and plays a supporting role in the novel ...
... then betrothed to Henry VIII, and Margaret's son, Thomas Boleyn's, status as King's adviser ... In 1465 Margaret married Sir William Boleyn, and in total they had ten children ... Her son, the ambitious courtier Sir Thomas Boleyn, became the first Earl of Wiltshire and by his marriage to Elizabeth Howard, the Duke of Norfolk's daughter, was the ...
Famous quotes containing the word boleyn:
“Toll on, thou passing bell;
Ring out my doleful knell;”
—George Boleyn (d. 1536)