Zur occurs five times in the King James Bible as the name of various people and a state.
The first mention is in Numbers 25:15. This is the pericope where Numbers 25:1 tells us that Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab:
- And the name of the Midianitish woman that was slain was Cozbi, the daughter of Zur; he was head over a people, and of a chief house in Midian.
The second mention is Numbers 31:8-9. Here, the nation of Israel is warring against the Midianites, and a body-count is given:
- And they slew the kings of Midian, beside the rest of them that were slain; namely, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, five kings of Midian: Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword.
- And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods.
The third mention is a recapitulation of the second, at the pericope of Joshua's death-scene, Joshua 13:21:
- And all the cities of the plain, and all the kingdom of Sihon king of the Amorites, which reigned in Heshbon, whom Moses smote with the princes of Midian, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, which were dukes of Sihon, dwelling in the country.
The fourth mention is in the begats at First Chronicles 8:30:
- And his firstborn son Abdon, and Zur, and Kish, and Baal, and Nadab
The fifth mention is about the servers at the temple, First Chronicles 9:35-36:
- And in Gibeon dwelt the father of Gibeon, Jehiel, whose wife's name was Maachah:
- And his firstborn son Abdon, then Zur, and Kish, and Baal, and Ner, and Nadab.
Other articles related to "zur":
... Fähnrich zur See 1 April 1922 (midshipman) Oberfähnrich zur See 1 April 1924 (senior midshipman) Leutnant zur See 1 July 1926 (ensign) Oberleutnant zur See 1 July 1928 (sub-lieutenant) Court-martialled and ...
... and Environmental Ethics, Volume 17, Number 3 / Mai 2004, Seiten 223-248 Hubert Kroll "Das Zurückhalten der Milch bei Rindern und ihre Behandlung bei afrikanischen ... Lund Håkan Ohlssons 1950 (mit Karte zur Verbreitung in Afrika, auch zur Verbreitung des milking with dummy-calves ("Melkens mit Kalbspuppen") ...
... Funèbres (1860–66) S.113, Salve Polonia (1863) S.114, Künstlerfestzug zur Schillerfeier (1857) S.115, Festmarsch zur Goethejubiläumsfeier (1849, 1857) S.116, Festmarsch nach Motiven von E.H.z.S.-C ... (1857) S.117, Rákóczy March (1865) S.118, Ungarischer Marsch zur Krönungsfeier in Ofen-Pest (am 8 Juni 1867) (1870) S.119, Ungarischer Sturmmarsch (1875) ...
... Beth-Zur (also Beit Tzur, Bethsura) is a biblical site of historic and archaeological importance in the southern West Bank ... Beth Zur is mentioned several times in the Hebrew Bible and the writings of the Roman Jewish historian Josephus ... The name Beth-Zur means "house of rock," or less likely "house of the god Zur." Beth-Zur is mentioned in Joshua as being near Halhul and Gedor, in the Judean hill country ...