What is palatal?

  • (adj): Relating to or lying near the palate.
    Example: "Palatal index"
    Synonyms: palatine
    See also — Additional definitions below

Some articles on palatal:

Alveolo-palatal Fricative
... Alveolo-palatal fricative may refer to the following two consonants Voiced alveolo-palatal fricative Voiceless alveolo-palatal fricative ...
Maká Language - Phonology
... Consonant phonemes of Maká Bilabial Dental Alveolar Palatal-Velar Uvular Glottal Plosive p t k q ʔ Ejective plosive pʼ tʼ kʼ qʼ Affricate ts Ejective affricate tsʼ Fricative f s x χ h Lateral fricative ... The palatal approximant /j/ alternates with the palatal fricative /ç/ before /i/, as in /inanjiʔ/ ~ ...
Palatal Fricative
... A palatal fricative is a type of fricative consonant that is also a palatal consonant, i.e ... The two main types of palatal fricatives are voiceless palatal fricative (/ç/) voiced palatal fricative (/ʝ/) Palatal fricatives are rare phonemes, especially the voiced palatal ... of ), or as alternants (whether dialectal, emphatic, etc.) of palatal approximants (e.g ...
List Of Digraphs In Latin Alphabets - V
... ⟨vg⟩ was used in the Tindall orthography of Khoehkoe for the voiceless palatal click /ǂ/ ... It was also used in the Tindall orthography of Khoehkoe for the aspirated palatal click /ǂʰ/ ... ⟨vk⟩ was used in the Tindall orthography of Khoehkoe for the voiceless palatal click /ǂ/ (equivalent to ⟨vg⟩) ...
Bulgarski - Phonology - Consonants - Palatalization
... the palatum, resulting in the formation of a second articulatory centre whereby the specific palatal "clang" of the soft consonants is achieved ... n/ and /r/, however, usually does not follow that rule the palatal clang is achieved by moving the place of articulation further back towards the palatum ... articulated not on the velum but on the palatum and are considered palatal consonants ...

More definitions of "palatal":

  • (adj): Produced with the front of the tongue near or touching the hard palate (as 'y') or with the blade of the tongue near the hard palate (as 'ch' in 'chin' or 'j' in 'gin').
    Synonyms: palatalized, palatalised
  • (noun): A semivowel produced with the tongue near the palate (like the initial sound in the English word 'yeast').