A last is a form in the approximate shape of a human foot, used by shoemakers and cordwainers in the manufacture and repair of shoes. Lasts typically come in pairs, and throughout their history have been made from many materials, including hardwoods, cast iron, and, more recently, high density plastics.
Read more about Last.
Some articles on last:
... He was elected President of the Karnataka Provincial Congress Committee four times and participated in the Dandi March (Salt Satyagraha) ... Next he offered individual Satyagraha, though he was in poor health ...
... Empress Wu Zetian is angry at this and hesitant over it but at last agrees, thinking of what's good for Tang ... Dan-ni is Suk-yeong's son so has the last Goguryeo royal blood while Geom has the blood of the Khitan tribe, through his mother Chu-lin but Geom demonstrates unusual ...
... Cordwainers, or bespoke shoemakers, often use lasts specifically designed to the proportions of individual customers' feet ...
More definitions of "last":
- (adj): Coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining.
Example: "The last time I saw Paris"; "the last day of the month"; "had the last word"; "waited until the last minute"; "he raised his voice in a last supreme call"; "the last game of the season"; "down to his last nickel"
- (adj): Occurring at or forming an end or termination.
Example: "The last days of the dinosaurs"
Synonyms: concluding, final, terminal
- (adv): More recently than any other time.
Example: "I saw him last in London"
Synonyms: most recently
- (adj): Occurring at the time of death.
Example: "His last words"; "the last rites"
- (verb): Persist or be long; in time.
- (adj): Immediately past.
Example: "Last Thursday"; "the last chapter we read"
- (noun): The concluding parts of an event or occurrence.
Example: "I had to miss the last of the movie"
Synonyms: end, final stage
- (adj): Lowest in rank or importance.
Example: "Last prize"; "in last place"
Synonyms: last-place, lowest
- (verb): Continue to live; endure or last.
Synonyms: survive, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out
- (noun): A unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels.
- (noun): Holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes.
Synonyms: shoemaker's last, cobbler's last
- (adj): Most unlikely or unsuitable.
Example: "The last person we would have suspected"; "the last man they would have chosen for the job"
- (noun): A person's dying act; the last thing a person can do.
Example: "He breathed his last"
- (adj): Not to be altered or undone.
Example: "The arbiter will have the last say"
- (adv): The item at the end.
Example: "Last, I'll discuss family values"
Synonyms: lastly, in conclusion, finally
- (noun): A unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds.
- (adj): In accord with the most fashionable ideas or style.
Example: "The last thing in swimwear"
Synonyms: latest, newest, up-to-date, cutting-edge, with-it
- (noun): The last or lowest in an ordering or series.
Example: "He was the last to leave"; "he finished an inglorious last"
- (noun): The time at which life ends; continuing until dead.
Example: "A struggle to the last"
- (adj): Highest in extent or degree.
Example: "To the last measure of human endurance"; "whether they were accomplices in the last degree or a lesser one was...to be determined individually"
Famous quotes containing the word last:
“Last came, and last did go,
The pilot of the Galilean lake.”
—John Milton (16081674)