A bank is a financial institution and a financial intermediary that accepts deposits and channels those deposits into lending activities, either directly by loaning or indirectly through capital markets. A bank is the connection between customers that have capital deficits and customers with capital surpluses.
Read more about Bank.
Some articles on bank:
... Xiamen International Bank (XIB) (simplified Chinese 厦门国际银行 traditional Chinese 廈門國際銀行 pinyin Xiàmén Guójì Yínháng) was established in August 1985 as the first joint venture bank ...
More definitions of "bank":
- (noun): A slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force.
Synonyms: cant, camber
- (noun): A flight maneuver; aircraft tips laterally about its longitudinal axis (especially in turning).
Example: "The plane went into a steep bank"
- (noun): A supply or stock held in reserve for future use (especially in emergencies).
- (noun): A long ridge or pile.
Example: "A huge bank of earth"
- (verb): Enclose with a bank.
Example: "Bank roads"
- (verb): Do business with a bank or keep an account at a bank.
Example: "Where do you bank in this town?"
- (verb): Tip laterally.
Example: "The pilot had to bank the aircraft"
- (verb): Have confidence or faith in.
Example: "Bank on your good education"
Synonyms: trust, swear, rely
- (noun): An arrangement of similar objects in a row or in tiers.
Example: "He operated a bank of switches"
- (noun): A container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home.
Example: "The coin bank was empty"
Synonyms: savings bank, coin bank, money box
- (verb): Put into a bank account.
- (noun): Sloping land (especially the slope beside a body of water).
Example: "They pulled the canoe up on the bank"; "he sat on the bank of the river and watched the currents"
- (noun): A building in which commercial banking is transacted.
Example: "The bank is on the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon"
Synonyms: bank building
- (noun): A financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities.
Example: "He cashed a check at the bank"; "that bank holds the mortgage on my home"
Synonyms: depository financial institution, banking concern, banking company
- (verb): Be in the banking business.
- (verb): Act as the banker in a game or in gambling.
- (noun): The funds held by a gambling house or the dealer in some gambling games.
Example: "He tried to break the bank at Monte Carlo"
Famous quotes containing the word bank:
“I have passed down the river before sunrise on a summer morning, between fields of lilies still shut in sleep; and when, at length, the flakes of sunlight from over the bank fell on the surface of the water, whole fields of white blossoms seemed to flash open before me, as I floated along, like the unfolding of a banner, so sensible is this flower to the influence of the suns rays.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“That strain again, it had a dying fall;
O, it came oer my ear like the sweet sound
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odor. Enough, no more,
Tis not so sweet now as it was before.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“When women can support themselves, have entry to all the trades and professions, with a house of their own over their heads and a bank account, they will own their bodies and be dictators in the social realm.”
—Elizabeth Cady Stanton (18151902)