Barbie Family and Other Principal Characters
- Barbie (1959–present) The first Barbie doll was described as a "Teen Age Fashion Model" on her packaging. According to the Random House books, the Barbie character's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts, and her parents' names are George and Margaret Roberts. Originally she is a 17 year old student, but she works a variety of professions.
- George Roberts (1960-present) He is an engineer. He has a wife Margaret and children: Barbie, Skipper, Todd, Stacie and Kelly. He also has a sister-in-law, Millicent.
- Margaret Roberts (1960-present) Margaret's maiden name is Rawlins. She is a homemaker.
- Ken (1961-1967, 1969–present) The second character added to the line, Ken has been Barbie's boyfriend for much of the time the character has existed. After a short break, they got back together. According to the 1960s Random House books, Ken's full name is Kenneth Carson. In Barbie Fashion Comic #34 from 1993, Ken's grandmother is named Edna. In Barbie Fashion Comic #52 from 1995, Edna's father is named Kenneth. In Brazil in the 1980s, the Estrela company named the doll Bob instead of Ken (from the book Barbie Doll Around the World, by J. Michael Augustyniak, copyright 2008 Collector Books).
- Skipper (1964–2003, 2010-present) Skipper was the first character added to the line as part of Barbie doll's family. Skipper is Barbie doll's younger sister, originally appearing to be approximately 10 years of age, and later becoming a teenager.
- Tutti (1965-1971) Twin sister of Todd, both Tutti and Todd were younger siblings of Barbie and Skipper, and had seamless 'bendy' bodies. Both dolls appear to be approximately 4 years of age.
- Todd (1965-1971) Twin brother of Tutti, and younger brother of Barbie and Skipper.
- Francie (1966-1977) Cousin of Barbie, Skipper, Tutti and Todd. Francie appeared to be only slightly younger than Barbie, and had a much less shapely figure. The Francie doll was the first to feature rooted eyelashes. In the March 1966 issue of Barbie Magazine, she is the daughter of Claude and Lily Fairchild.
- Jazzie (1988-1992) A new cousin of Barbie, part of a small group of high school age dolls.
- Stacie (1990- ) Introduced as Kelly in the 1991 Wedding Day Midge gift set as the flower girl, this doll is often confused with Tutti, though the Tutti character had been discontinued for years at this time. Kelly was renamed Stacie shortly thereafter, and the Kelly name was used for a younger character. Stacie also has a twin brother named Todd, although her packaging did not say so. Todd's packaging did say "Twin Brother of Stacie." These two are not to be confused with the earlier Tutti and Todd, although some believe Stacie and Todd to be a sort of reincarnation of them.
- Todd (1990-2001) Introduced in the 1991 Wedding Day Midge gift set as the ring bearer, this doll should not be confused with the earlier Todd doll. His packaging mentions that he is the "twin brother of Stacie," similar to how the other Todd's packaging said he was the "twin brother of Tutti." Mattel's continuity for Barbie's family and friends has not been consistent over the years, some characters disappear for years at a time, others are dropped indefinitely, and still others continue for years while undergoing marked changes in appearance.
- Kelly (1995-late 2010) – This character is of toddler age, and is sister to Barbie, Skipper, and Stacie. Originally the baby of the family (replaced by her younger sister Krissy Roberts in 1999), she also has five older sisters named Stacie, Chelsea, Tutti Roberts, and Skipper, and a brother named Todd Roberts. In Europe, she is known as Shelly. Kelly dolls have since ceased production in late 2010 and were replaced by Chelsea. Excluding a brief period when the design of the Kelly doll was changed to have an oval-shaped head, larger eyes, and longer limbs marketed under the name "Sweetsville," Kelly dolls have stayed true to their original design which debuted in 1995. A Kelly doll was introcuced in the early 1990s as part of the Midge and Allen wedding party, a set of 6 dolls dressed for a wedding. This Kelly doll is 7 1/2 inches tall, exactly the same size as the ring bearer, Todd, who is wearing a Tux. She is wearing a peach dotted Swiss dress and carries a white basket of flowers as she is the flower girl. She was made for a very limited time as part of this set. She has long blonde hair. The Todd doll which is made from the same mold has fuzzy brown hair. They both appear to be 6 to 9 years old and are very rare and she is a very pretty little girl doll. It appears that there were no clothes other than the wedding attire made for either of these dolls.
- Krissy (1999-2001) – This character is an infant, and is only intermittently included in the Barbie sibling lineup.
- Blaine (2004) - Barbie's Australian ex-boyfriend, whom she dated during her much-publicized "breakup" with the Ken character. Blaine is said to be the brother of Summer, one of Barbie's friends.
- Chelsea (2010–present) - Barbie's younger sister. She replaced Kelly. She appears to be approximately 5–7 years old and is slightly taller than Kelly. The doll was first produced in 2011 as part of the "My Fab Sisters" line. She is the youngest sister of Barbie currently sold (Mattel discontinued Kelly shortly before Chelsea was produced). She has blonde hair and blue eyes (very similar to Kelly). Mattel has also made African American versions of Chelsea.
- Millicent Rawlins is aunt of Barbie and sister of Margaret. Her first appearance was in Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale.
Read more about this topic: Stacie (Barbie)
Famous quotes containing the words characters, principal and/or family:
“Though they be mad and dead as nails,
Heads of the characters hammer through daisies;
Break in the sun till the sun breaks down,
And death shall have no dominion.”
—Dylan Thomas (19141953)
“Silence, indifference and inaction were Hitlers principal allies.”
—Immanuel, Baron Jakobovits (b. 1921)
“As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the whole world in which we live.”
—John Paul II [Karol Wojtyla] (b. 1920)