Orvieto Cathedral

Orvieto Cathedral

The Cathedral of Orvieto is a large 14th century Roman Catholic cathedral situated in the town of Orvieto in Umbria, central Italy. The building was constructed under the orders of Pope Urban IV to commemorate and provide a suitable home for the Corporal of Bolsena, a miracle which is said to have occurred in 1263 in the nearby town of Bolsena, when a traveling priest who had doubts about the truth of transubstantiation found that his Host was bleeding so much that it stained the altar cloth. The cloth is now stored in the Chapel of the Corporal inside the cathedral.

Situated in a position dominating the town of Orvieto which sits perched on a volcanic plug, the cathedral’s façade is a classic piece of religious construction, containing elements of design from the 14th to the 20th century, with a large rose window, golden mosaics and three huge bronze doors, while inside resides two frescoed chapels decorated by some of the best Italian painters of the period with images of Judgement Day.

Read more about Orvieto Cathedral:  Construction, The Façade, The Interior, Apse, Palazzo Dei Papi, Palazzo Dell'Opera Del Duomo

Other articles related to "orvieto cathedral, cathedral":

Orvieto Cathedral - Palazzo Dell'Opera Del Duomo
... Opposite the cathedral is a large grand building constructed in 1359 to house the cathedral’s administrative offices and enlarged in 1857 to create a museum on the ground floor housing Etruscan artifacts ...

Famous quotes containing the word cathedral:

    ... and met
    At numerous cathedral cities
    Unknown to the clergy.
    Philip Larkin (1922–1986)