Nazareth is home to dozens of monasteries and churches, many of them in the Old City.
- The Church of the Annunciation is the largest Christian church in the Middle East. In Roman Catholic tradition, it marks the site where the Archangel Gabriel announced the future birth of Jesus to the Virgin Mary (Luke 1:26-31).
- The Church of St. Gabriel is an alternative Eastern Orthodox site for the Annunciation.
- The Synagogue Church is a Melkite Greek Catholic Church at the traditional site of the synagogue where Jesus preached (Luke 4)
- The St. Joseph's Church marks the traditional location for the workshop of Saint Joseph
- The Mensa Christi Church, run by the Franciscan religious order, commemorates the traditional location where Jesus dined with the Apostles after his Resurrection
- The Basilica of Jesus the Adolescent, run by the Salesian religious order, occupies a hill overlooking the city.
- The Church of Christ is an Anglican church in Nazareth.
- The Church of Our Lady of the Fright marks the spot where Mary is said to have seen Jesus being taken to a cliff by the congregation of the synagogue
- The Jesus Trail pilgrimage route connects many of the religious sites in Nazareth on a 60 km walking trail which ends in Capernaum.
|Arab citizens of Israel|
Hadash United Arab List
Avoda · Kadima · Likud
Internally Displaced Palestinians
The Koenig Memorandum
October 2000 events
|Basilica of the Annunciation
Dome of the Rock
St. George's Orthodox Church
Church of the Holy Sepulchre
|Music · Dance · Cuisine
|Major population centers|
|Nazareth · Umm al-Fahm · Rahat
Tayibe · Shefa-'Amr · Baqa-Jatt
Shaghur · Tamra · Sakhnin
Carmel City · Tira · Arraba
|Hiam Abbass · Hany Abu-Assad
Mohammed Bakri · Azmi Bishara
Emile Habibi · Samih al-Qasim
Abbas Suan · Elia Suleiman
Hisham Zreiq · Ali Suliman
See also Template:Palestinians
Other articles related to "christian, christians":
Berea College - Academics and Student Life - Christian Identity
... Berea was founded by Protestant Christians ... It maintains a Christian identity separate from any particular denomination ... One General Studies course is focused on Christian faith, as every student is required to take an Understandings of Christianity course ...
Uchimura Kanzō - Japanese Religious Leader
... to share Uchimura’s attitude that an organized church was actually a hindrance to the Christian faith, and Christian sacraments, such as baptism and ... Uchimura named his Christian position as "Mukyokai" or Nonchurch Movement ...
... It was based on Christian understanding of the Canonical Gospels, the letters of the New Testament and to a lesser extent the Old Testament ... fundamental test of orthodoxy for most Christian denominations ... Some Christian denominations and other groups have rejected the authority of those creeds ...
... Christian eschatology is a major branch of study within Christian theology ... Broadly speaking, Christian eschatology is the study of the destiny of humankind as it is revealed by the Bible, which is the primary source for all Christian eschatology studies ... The major issues and events in Christian eschatology are death and the afterlife, Heaven and Hell, the Second Coming of Jesus, the Resurrection of the Dead, the Rapture, the Tribulation ...
Christians Without Creeds
... Some Christian denominations, and particularly those descending from the Radical Reformation, do not profess a creed ... a penultimacy about them and, of themselves, could never be the basis of Christian fellowship" ... Movement and its descendants, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the Churches of Christ, and the Christian churches and churches of Christ ...
Famous quotes containing the word christian:
“On principle I dislike an oath which requires a man to swear he has not done wrong. It rejects the Christian principle of forgiveness on terms of repentance. I think it is enough if the man does no wrong hereafter.”
“My Christian friends, in bonds of love, whose hearts in sweetest union join,
“It is the place where all the aspirations of the Western World meet to form one vast master aspiration, as powerful as the suction of a steam dredge. It is the icing on the pie called Christian civilization.”
Main Site Subjects