Existing Conferences That Dropped Football
Conferences which still exist, but which have dropped football as a conference sport
- Association of Mid-Continent Universities – Founded in 1982, it absorbed the former Mid-Continent Athletic Association and sponsored Division I-AA football through the 1984 season. Of the four schools that participated in AMCU football in the 1982–84 period, three now compete at the Division I FCS level in the football-only Missouri Valley Football Conference, and the other is an all-sports member of the FCS Ohio Valley Conference. After dropping football, the AMCU (informally known as the "Mid-Continent") became the Mid-Continent Conference in 1989, and adopted its current name of The Summit League in 2007. Currently, four Summit League members sponsor football; all are MVFC members.
- Atlantic 10 (1975–present) – Initially formed as a non-football conference. Absorbed the Yankee Conference football programs and began football sponsorship in 1997. Dropped football after the 2006 season when all football members departed for the Colonial Athletic Association.
- Big West Conference (1969–present) – Pacific Coast Athletic Association (1969–1988) changed name to the Big West Conference in 1988 as it admitted more schools located in the interior West. Dropped football as a conference sport after the 2000 season.
- California Collegiate Athletic Association
- Conference Carolinas
- Great West Conference (2004–present) – Founded as the Great West Football Conference in 2004, it changed its name in 2008 when it began sponsoring other sports. It dropped football after the 2011 season when all of its football members joined more established conferences during the 2010–12 realignment cycle.
- Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
- Missouri Valley Conference (1907–present) – Dropped football as a conference sport after the 1985 season. As noted above, the Missouri Valley Football Conference is a separate entity from the MVC, although the football conference has a licensing agreement with the MVC allowing it to use an adapted version of the MVC logo.
- Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (1980–present) – Initially formed as a non-football conference, began sponsoring football in 1993. Dropped football after the 2007 season, after most of its member schools discontinued their football programs.
Read more about this topic: List Of Defunct College Football Conferences
Famous quotes containing the words football, dropped and/or existing:
“People stress the violence. Thats the smallest part of it. Football is brutal only from a distance. In the middle of it theres a calm, a tranquility. The players accept pain. Theres a sense of order even at the end of a running play with bodies stewn everywhere. When the systems interlock, theres a satisfaction to the game that cant be duplicated. Theres a harmony.”
—Don Delillo (b. 1926)
“O happy, golden age!
Not for that rivers ran
With streams of milk, and honey dropped from trees;”
—Torquato Tasso (15441595)
“Losing life is a trifle and I will have that courage when I need it. But to see the meaning of this life vanishing, our reason for existing disappearing, that is what I cannot stand. No one can live without reason.”
—Albert Camus (19131960)