- In graph theory, the connectivity of a graph is given by κ.
- In differential geometry, the curvature of a curve is given by κ.
- In physics, the torsional constant of an oscillator is given by κ as well as Einstein constant of gravitation.
- In structural engineering, κ is the ratio of the smaller factored moment to the larger factored moment and is used to calculate the critical elastic moment of an unbraced steel member.
- In electrical engineering, κ is the multiplication factor, a function of the R/X ratio of the equivalent power system network, which is used in calculating the peak short-circuit current of a system fault. κ is also used to notate conductivity, the reciprocal of resistivity, rho.
- In chemistry, the compressibility of a compound is given by κ.
- In psychology and psychiatry, kappa represents a measure of diagnostic reliability.
- In biology, kappa and kappa prime are important nucleotide motifs for a tertiary interaction of group II introns.
- In biology, kappa designates a subtype of an antibody component.
- In pharmacology, kappa represents a type of opioid receptor.
- Kappa statistics such as Cohen's kappa and Fleiss' kappa are methods for calculating inter-rater reliability.
Upper-case letter Κ is used as a symbol for:
- In textual criticism, the Byzantine text-type (from Κοινη, Koine, the common text).
- In set theory, kappa is often used to denote an ordinal which is also a cardinal.
Read more about this topic: Kappa
Other articles related to "symbol, symbols":
... The pound sign (£ or ₤) is the symbol for the pound sterling—the currency of the United Kingdom (UK) ... The same symbol is (or was) used for similarly named currencies in some other countries and territories, such as the Irish pound, Gibraltar pound, Australian pound, and Italian lira ... currency "the pound" but do not use the £ symbol ...
... Symbolic action may overlap with symbolic speech, such as in the case of flag burning to express hostility or saluting the flag to express patriotism ... In response to intense public criticism, businesses, organizations, and governments may take symbolic actions rather than, or in addition to, directly addressing the identified problems. ...
... Units derived from the bar are the megabar (symbol Mbar), kilobar (symbol kbar), decibar (symbol dbar), centibar (symbol cbar), and millibar (symbol mbar or mb) ...
... The symbol of Imakane comprises the meandering Toshibetsu River and the 1st letter of 農耕 (farming) which can be written in katakana as ノ and pronounced "no" ... This symbol was decided upon by a public competition on the town’s 70th anniversary (1967) Another symbol of Imakane is a large windmill located in the center of town where the old train ... the tulips come into flower and is one of the symbols for Imakane ...
... The circuit symbol for the FET does not always show the internal diode formed by the substrate connection source to drain, as shown in this symbol ...
Famous quotes containing the word symbol:
“Your true traveller finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his libertyhis excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.”
—Aldous Huxley (18941963)
“There is that in meI do not know what it isbut I know it is in me ...
I do not know itit is without nameit is a word unsaid,
It is not in any dictionary, utterance, symbol ...
Do you see O my brothers and sisters?
It is not chaos or deathit is form, union, planit is eternal lifeit is Happiness.”
—Walt Whitman (18191892)
“Dylan is to me the perfect symbol of the anti-artist in our society. He is against everythingthe last resort of someone who doesnt really want to change the world.... Dylans songs accept the world as it is.”
—Ewan MacColl (19151989)