- Hup This is the traditional command to sit and stay. To be an effective hunter the dog must comply with this command absolutely. When hupped the dog can be given direction called to the handler. The ability to hup a dog actively working a running bird allow the handler and any gunners to keep up without having to run.
- Retrieve to Hand The majority of hunters and all hunt test or field trial judges require that a dog deliver a bird to hand, meaning that a dog will hold the bird until told to give it to the hunter directly.
- Quarter Dogs must work in a pattern in front of the hunter seeking upland game birds. The dog must be taught to stay within gun range to avoid flushing a bird outside of shooting distance.
- Follow Hand Signals Upland hunting involves pursuing wild game in its native habitat. Gun dogs must investigate likely covers for upland game birds. The dog must be responsive to hand signals in order for the hunter to be able to direct the dog into areas of particular interest.
- Steady When hunting upland birds, a flushing dog should be steady to wing and shot, meaning that he sits when a bird rises or a gun is fired. He does this in order to mark the fall and to avoid flushing other birds when pursuing a missed bird.
Other articles related to "skills":
... While living on her own, she used her skills to evade capture while stealing to survive, first from the various shops in the mall and later in the X-Men's Australian base ... She has also displayed above average hand-to-hand combat skills, having learned street-fighting techniques while in Los Angeles County Juvenile Hall, and being coached further by Wolverine ... Her skills are sufficient enough to survive combat with the Hand ...
... As well as needing sound technical skills, such as being able to expose correctly, wildlife photographers generally need good field craft skills ... Photographing some species may require stalking skills or the use of a hide/blind for concealment ...
... with leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills to combat the general drop in worker retention and ineffective training ... In addition, leaders with business and soft skills are sought after ... excludes them from the "new economy", which calls for sophisticated computer skills in exchange for high salary positions ...
... that create and develop engineering leadership skills and attitudes ... areas needing emphasis are communication skills teamwork skills “hands-on” experience innovative capacity inventiveness and “drive” ability to ...
Famous quotes containing the word skills:
“Many women are reluctant to allow men to enter their domain. They dont want men to acquire skills in what has traditionally been their area of competence and one of their main sources of self-esteem. So while they complain about the males unwillingness to share in domestic duties, they continually push the male out when he moves too confidently into what has previously been their exclusive world.”
—Bettina Arndt (20th century)
“While most of todays jobs do not require great intelligence, they do require greater frustration tolerance, personal discipline, organization, management, and interpersonal skills than were required two decades and more ago. These are precisely the skills that many of the young people who are staying in school today, as opposed to two decades ago, lack.”
—James P. Comer (20th century)
“Make-believe is the avenue to much of the young childs early understanding. He sorts out impressions and tries out ideas that are foundational to his later realistic comprehension. This private world sometimes is a quiet, solitary
world. More often it is a noisy, busy, crowded place where language grows, and social skills develop, and where perseverance and attention-span expand.”
—James L. Hymes, Jr. (20th century)