- 1954 — first slingshot, built by Mickey Thompson.
- 1962 — the Greer-Black–Prudhomme digger, with the best win record in NHRA history.
- 1966 — Eliminator I, the first true Funny Car, built by the Logge brothers
- 1971 — Swamp Rat XIV, first rear-engined dragster, built by Don Garlits; Ed Donovan introduces the 417 Donovan hemi, an aluminum copy of the Chrysler
- 1974 — first tube chassis Pro Stock car, Bill Jenkins' '72 Vega.
- 1986 — Swamp Rat XXX, first streamlined dragster, built by Don Garlits.
Read more about this topic: Drag Racing
Famous quotes containing the words cars and/or historic:
Stared on the horses of the sea, and heard
The cars of battle and his own name cried;
And fought with the invulnerable tide.”
—William Butler Yeats (18651939)
“Never is a historic deed already completed when it is done but always only when it is handed down to posterity. What we call history by no means represents the sum total of all significant deeds.... World history ... only comprises that tiny lighted sector which chanced to be placed in the spotlight by poetic or scholarly depictions.”
—Stefan Zweig (18811942)