- "I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually. I guess that we thought we had a little more time."
– Reacting to the assassination of John F. Kennedy, November 1963
- "No one is innocent after the experience of governing. But not everyone is guilty."
– The Politics of a Guaranteed Income, 1973
- "Secrecy is for losers. For people who do not know how important the information really is."
– Secrecy: The American Experience, 1998
- "The issue of race could benefit from a period of benign neglect."
– Memo to President Richard Nixon
- "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." – quoted in Robert Sobel's review of Past Imperfect: History According to the Movies, edited by Mark C. Carnes
- (In response to the question: "Why should I work if I am going to just end up emptying slop jars?") "That's a complaint you hear mostly from people who don't empty slop jars. This country has a lot of people who do exactly that for a living. And they do it well. It's not pleasant work, but it's a living. And it has to be done. Somebody has to go around and empty all those bed pans. And it's perfectly honorable work. There's nothing the matter with doing it. Indeed, there is a lot that is right about doing it, as any hospital patient will tell you."
- "Food growing is the first thing you do when you come down out of the trees. The question is, how come the United States can grow food and you can't?"
– speaking to Third World countries about global famine
- "The central conservative truth is that it is culture, not politics, that determines the success of a society. The central liberal truth is that politics can change a culture and save it from itself."
Read more about this topic: Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Other articles related to "quotes, quote":
... Not that among his flock there were none from the people of grandeur stature ... Rather, princes, lords, nobles, many had left their place and positions, migrated with him to fructify their strive to reach God ...
... The book includes quotes attributed to American radio host and conservative political commentator Rush Limbaugh, without providing a date or details about the quotes ... Louis Rams in 2009, the quotes were reported in the St ... Limbaugh disputed the quotes ...
... A win quote is a phrase spoken by a fighting game character after defeating an opponent ... Win quotes are rarely particularly profound, and are often little more than trash talk, but they help players to understand and identify with the characters ... In most games, characters have one or more win quotes that they use indiscriminately, but sometimes special win quotes are used in special circumstances ...
... Quotes from the film can be heard in many different style films such as The Matrix, Avatar, and Twister, as well as in numerous television shows ... Several quotes have made the AFI's 100 Years Top 100 Movies Quotes "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." "There's no place like home." "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!" "Pay ...
Famous quotes containing the word quotes:
“Young people of high school age can actually feel themselves changing. Progress is almost tangible. Its exciting. It stimulates more progress. Nevertheless, growth is not constant and smooth. Erik Erikson quotes an aphorism to describe the formless forming of it. I aint what I ought to be. I aint what Im going to be, but Im not what I was.”
—Stella Chess (20th century)
“A great man quotes bravely, and will not draw on his invention when his memory serves him with a word as good. What he quotes, he fills with his own voice and humour, and the whole cyclopedia of his table-talk is presently believed to be his own.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“I quote another mans saying; unluckily, that other withdraws himself in the same way, and quotes me.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)