After determining down from up visually or with their vestibular apparatus (in the inner ear), cats manage to twist themselves to face downward without ever changing their net angular momentum. They are able to accomplish this with these key steps:
- Bend in the middle so that the front half of their body rotates about a different axis than the rear half.
- Tuck their front legs in to reduce the moment of inertia of the front half of their body and extend their rear legs to increase the moment of inertia of the rear half of their body so that they can rotate their front half quite far (as much as 90°) while the rear half rotates in the opposite direction quite a bit less (as little as 10°).
- Extend their front legs and tuck their rear legs so that they can rotate their rear half quite far while their front half rotates in the opposite direction quite a bit less.
Depending on the cat's flexibility and initial angular momentum, if any, the cat may need to repeat steps two and three one or more times in order to complete a full 180° rotation.
Read more about this topic: Cat Righting Reflex
Other articles related to "technique, techniques":
... variation on the funky Larry Graham-style slap-n'-pop technique, Clarke also uses downward thrusts of the entire right hand, striking two or more strings from above with his ...
Technique may also refer to:
- The Techniques, a Jamaican rocksteady vocal group of the 1960s
- The Technique, the school newspaper of the Georgia Institute of Technology
- Technique, the yearbook of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Technique (album), a 1989 album by British rock group New Order
- Technique (band), British female synth pop band in the 1990s
- "Technique" (song), an instrumental song by Linkin Park on their Hybrid Theory EP
... This technique is more often applied to video subjected to instant replay, than to film ... A third technique that is becoming common using current computer software post-processing (with programs like Twixtor) is to fabricate digitally interpolated frames to smoothly transition between ... Motion can be slowed further by combining techniques, interpolating between overcranked frames ...
... Surface caching is a computer graphics technique pioneered by John Carmack, first used in the computer game Quake, to apply lightmaps to level geometry ... Carmack's technique was to combine lighting information with surface textures in texture-space when primitives became visible (at the appropriate mipmap level), exploiting ... rendering (and later pixel shaders) became more commonplace, the technique became less common, being replaced with screenspace combination of lightmaps in rendering hardware ...
Famous quotes containing the word technique:
“Technique is the test of sincerity. If a thing isnt worth getting the technique to say, it is of inferior value.”
—Ezra Pound (18851972)
“The mere mechanical technique of acting can be taught, but the spirit that is to give life to lifeless forms must be born in a man. No dramatic college can teach its pupils to think or to feel. It is Nature who makes our artists for us, though it may be Art who taught them their right mode of expression.”
—Oscar Wilde (18541900)
“A successful social technique consists perhaps in finding unobjectionable means for individual self-assertion.”
—Eric Hoffer (19021983)