Ban may refer to:
- Ban (law), a decree that prohibits something, sometimes a form of censorship
- The imperial ban, a form of outlawry in the medieval Holy Roman Empire
- Herem (censure), usually translated as the Ban, a form of excommunication in Judaism
- Herem (war or property), a command to destroy in the Hebrew Bible
- Ban (title), a noble title which was used in south-eastern Europe (Romania, Croatia, Bosnia and Hungary)
- Ban of Croatia
- Ban (information), a logarithmic unit of information or weight of evidence
- Ban (mythology), a king from Arthurian legend
- Ban (deodorant), a brand name deodorant & antiperspirant
- Ban (medieval), a Frankish institution
- Ban (plural: bani), a coin, the 1/100 part of a Romanian leu or Moldovan leu
- Muban, or Ban for short, the lowest administrative subdivision of Thailand
- Another name for the paiban, a clapper used in Chinese music
Other articles related to "ban":
... Akaza BanBan, nicknamed Ban, a character in Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger Ban Mido, a main character of the GetBackers series ...
... Pierre De Bané, PC, QC (born August 2, 1938) is a Canadian Senator ... De Bané was born in Haifa, Palestine to Lebanese parents ... The family settled in Quebec, and De Bané became a lawyer as an adult ...
... Wu Ban, style name Yuanxiong (元雄), was a military general of Shu Han during the Three Kingdoms era of Chinese history ... A relative of Wu Yi (吳懿), Wu Ban at one time was a close servant under Liu Zhang ... the Battle of Xiaoting against Sun Quan, Wu Ban was tasked to lead the vanguard, winning many battles along with surrounding Sun Huan at Yiling ...
... On December 18, 2007 Doctor Santuccione was given a lifetime ban by the Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI) due to his involvement in the Oil for Drugs case and after having already serving a lengthy ban for ... On October 26, 2007 the Italian pole vaulter Giuseppe Gibilisco was given a two-year ban for his involvement ...
... The Jōban Expressway (常磐自動車道, Jōban Jidōsha-dō?), abbreviated Jōban-dō (常磐道?), is a national expressway in Japan ...
Famous quotes containing the word ban:
“So in peace our tasks we ply,
Pangur Ban, my cat, and I;
In our arts we find our bliss,
I have mine and he has his.”
—Unknown. Pangur Ban (l. 2528)
“On fields all drenched with blood he made his record in war, abstained from lawless violence when left on the plantation, and received his freedom in peace with moderation. But he holds in this Republic the position of an alien race among a people impatient of a rival. And in the eyes of some it seems that no valor redeems him, no social advancement nor individual development wipes off the ban which clings to him.”
—Frances Ellen Watkins Harper (18251911)
“Its red hot, mate. I hate to think of this sort of book getting in the wrong hands. As soon as Ive finished this, I shall recommend they ban it.”
—Tony Hancock (19241968)