Atonement may refer to:
- Atonement in Judaism
- Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, the biblical/Jewish observance
- Atonement in Christianity
- Atonement (governmental view)
- Atonement (moral influence view)
- Atonement (penal substitution view)
- Atonement (ransom view)
- Atonement (satisfaction view)
- Blood atonement, a concept in Mormonism
- Substitutionary atonement
- Society of the Atonement
- Universal atonement, as in:
- Unlimited atonement, the doctrine that the atonement is unlimited in extent
- Universal reconciliation, the doctrine that all will eventually come to salvation
- Day of Atonement (Nation of Islam)
- Atonement (novel), a 2001 novel by Ian McEwan
- Atonement (film), a 2007 film directed by Joe Wright based on the novel
- "Atonement" (Babylon 5), a Babylon 5 television series episode
- Tsugunai: Atonement, a 2001 role-playing videogame
- Festivals of Atonement, 1995 album by Nile
- "Atonement", a song by Opeth from the album Ghost Reveries
- "Atonement", a song by The Roots from the album Game Theory
- "Atonement", a song by Bloc Party, a b-side to their single I Still Remember
Other articles related to "atonement":
... A practice referred to as “blood atonement” is discussed ... Decker states that the concept of blood atonement “glorifies the atoning power of the blood of the Mormon sinner,” and refers to statements regarding “blood ...
... Main article Atonement in Christianity Paul wrote down much of the theology of atonement ...
... term Christus Victor refers to a Christian understanding of the atonement which views Christ's death as the means by which the powers of evil, which held humankind under their dominion, were defeated ... It is a model of the atonement that is dated to the Church Fathers, and it, or the related ransom theory, was the dominant theory of the atonement for a thousand years, until it was removed in the West by the ... Gabriel Hebert, in which he drew attention back to this classic early Church understanding of the atonement ...
... Brigham Young introduced a doctrine known as "blood atonement", regarding unpardonable sin, or sin for which Jesus Christ's atonement does not apply ...
... The Atonement Academy is a parochial,Catholic school in the Archdiocese of San Antonio, Texas ... It is a part of Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic parish (the founding parish for the Anglican Use liturgy within the Roman rite of the Catholic Church) and was opened on August 15, 1994 ... The Atonement Academy is designated as a “Blue Ribbon School of Excellence” by the Department of Education ...
Famous quotes containing the word atonement:
“How much atonement is enough? The bombing must be allowed as at least part-payment: those of our young people who are concerned about the moral problem posed by the Allied air offensive should at least consider the moral problem that would have been posed if the German civilian population had not suffered at all.”
—Clive James (b. 1939)
“What atonement is there for blood spilt upon the earth?”
—Aeschylus (525456 B.C.)