- January 3 – Tony Dorsett sets NFL record for longest run from scrimmage by rushing for 99 yard touchdown.
- January 26 – death of Paul "Bear" Bryant, noted college football coach
- Super Bowl XVII – The Washington Redskins win their first Super Bowl title, and first NFL title since 1942, 27-17 over the Miami Dolphins.
- The Miami Hurricanes win their first national championship over the Nebraska Cornhuskers 31-30 in the Orange Bowl.
- Michigan Panthers win United States Football League Championship, 24-22 over Philadelphia Stars
- October 31 – death of George Halas, Chicago Bears founder and coach
Read more about this topic: 1983 In Sports
Other articles related to "american, american football, football":
... English line artist and illustrator Calvin Brock, American boxer Darrell Brock Jr ... American politician Dave Brock, Hawkwind frontman David Brock, former conservative journalist turned liberal political writer Edwin Brock (1927 - 1997), British poet Edwin C ... Brock (Egyptologist), American Egyptologist Eric John Brock (1966 - 2011), American historian Greg Brock (The West Wing), fictional character from The West Wing Henry Matthew Brock (1875 - 1960), English ...
... Main article International Federation of American Football The International Federation of American Football (IFAF) is the de facto governing body for American football, with 45 member associations from ... aforementioned bodies, these same organizations also give support to USA Football, the designated U.S ... The IFAF also oversees the American Football World Cup, which is held every four years ...
... American football, known within the country simply as football, has the most participants of any sport at both high school and college levels ... The NFL is the preeminent professional football league in the United States ... Through expansion teams and the landmark merger with the American Football League in 1970, the NFL has reached its current mark of 32 franchises divided into two conferences ...
... Continental Football League, 1965-1969 //// Intercontinental Football League - Intended to begin play in 1975, folded before first game - BCAFL British ...
... Alvin Raymond Collins (August 4, 1927 — November 3, 1991) was an American football defensive tackle who played for the National Football League's San Francisco 49ers and New York Giants, and ...
Famous quotes containing the words football and/or american:
“In this dream that dogs me I am part
Of a silent crowd walking under a wall,
Leaving a football match, perhaps, or a pit,
All moving the same way.”
—Philip Larkin (19221986)
“I will put in my poems, that with you is heroism, upon land and seaAnd
I will report all heroism from an American point of view.”
—Walt Whitman (18191892)