- W G Grace's "Indian Summer" in which he scores his 100th career century and becomes the first player to score 1000 first-class runs in a calendar month (i.e., May)
- County Championship expands from 9 to 14 teams with the restoration of Derbyshire and Hampshire; and the introduction of Essex, Leicestershire and Warwickshire
- Inaugural Minor Counties Championship is held
- County Championship – Surrey
- Minor Counties Championship – Durham, Norfolk and Worcestershire share the title
- Most runs – W G Grace 2346 @ 51.00 (HS 288)
- Most wickets – Tom Richardson 290 @ 14.37 (BB 9–49)
- Wisden Cricketer of the Year – WG Grace
- Sheffield Shield – Victoria
- Most runs – Albert Ward 916 @ 41.63 (HS 219)
- Most wickets – George Giffen 93 @ 22.54 (BB 8–77)
- Bombay Presidency – Europeans shared with Parsees
- Currie Cup – Transvaal
- Inter-Colonial Tournament – British Guiana
Read more about this topic: 1895 In Sports
Other articles related to "cricket":
... Cricket is a popular sport on the island, and Dominica competes in test cricket as part of the West Indies cricket team ... On October 24, 2007, the 8,000-seat Windsor cricket stadium was completed with a donation of EC$33 million (US$17 million, €12 million) from the government of the People's Republic of China ...
... The England cricket captain Sir Len Hutton was born in nearby Fulneck and was called "the man from Pudsey" ... For over a hundred years the Yorkshire County Cricket Club had at least one player who came from the old Borough of Pudsey ... The England opening batsman Herbert Sutcliffe attended Pudsey School and learnt his cricket with the Pudsey St Lawrence and Pudsey Britannia cricket clubs ...
... On September 5, 2012, RadioShack, in a partnership with Cricket Wireless, began offering its own branded no-contract wireless services using Cricket's ... services like Muve Music continue to be branded under Cricket ...
... The New Zealand cricket team, nicknamed the Black Caps, are the national cricket team representing New Zealand ... in Christchurch, New Zealand, becoming the fifth country to play Test cricket ... The national team is organised by New Zealand Cricket ...
... known as "Fiery Fred", Trueman played first-class cricket for Yorkshire County Cricket Club from 1949 until he retired in 1968 ... and formed one of the most famous bowling partnerships in Test cricket history ... because he was frequently in conflict with the cricket establishment, which he often criticised for its perceived "snobbishness" and hypocrisy ...
Famous quotes containing the word cricket:
“The thing that struck me forcefully was the feeling of great age about the place. Standing on that old parade ground, which is now a cricket field, I could feel the dead generations crowding me. Here was the oldest settlement of freedmen in the Western world, no doubt. Men who had thrown off the bands of slavery by their own courage and ingenuity. The courage and daring of the Maroons strike like a purple beam across the history of Jamaica.”
—Zora Neale Hurston (18911960)
“All cries are thin and terse;
The field has droned the summers final mass;
A cricket like a dwindled hearse
Crawls from the dry grass.”
—Richard Wilbur (b. 1921)