Walworth

Walworth is an inner-city district in the London Borough of Southwark. Walworth probably derives its name from the Old English "Wealhworth" which meant Welsh (British) farm. It is located 1.9 miles (3.1 km) south east of Charing Cross and near to Camberwell and Elephant and Castle.

The major streets in Walworth are the Old Kent Road and Walworth Road. It once had a common surrounded by streets with houses on one side, the Common on the other. This whole area is now covered by housing.

Read more about WalworthHistory, Politics, Regeneration, Famous Ex-residents

Other articles related to "walworth":

USS Walworth County (LST-1164) - Operations in U.S. Waters and Caribbean Exercise 1957-1958
... Walworth County returned to Little Creek from her Panama cruise on 16 March 1957 and put to sea on 10 April 1957 to participate in a three-phase operation involving the U.S ... Canal Zone, and Rio Hata — terminated on 28 April 1957 and Walworth County underwent extended upkeep in the New York Naval Shipyard in Brooklyn, New ... At that time, Walworth County undertook exercises with amphibious warfare forces that included practice assaults with Marines on Vieques Island, Puerto Rico, and St ...
Walworth, County Durham - Historical Sites - Lost Settlement
... There is evidence of ridge and furrow fields remaining in Walworth Park which may be associated with this settlement ...
A215 Road - Walworth Road
... At its northernmost point at Elephant Castle in Newington, the A215 begins as Walworth Road, which runs between Elephant and Castle and Camberwell Road ... It runs through Walworth and is the major shopping street of the area ... was probably born at 44 Crosby Row, now Larcom Street, Walworth Road on 26 December 1791 ...
Low Walworth Hall
1500 and that in the early 16th century it was the dower house to Walworth Castle ... Neville Eade lived at Low Walworth from 1931 to 1959 because he and his brother had bought the Walworth Castle estate in 1931 after the previous owners, Vivian Aylmer and Edmund Aylmer, had died ... However Walworth Castle held prisoners of war in World War II, and was sold to Durham County Council in 1950 ...