Théâtre De La Gaîté (boulevard Du Temple)
The Théâtre de la Gaîté, a former Parisian theatre company, was founded in 1759 on the boulevard du Temple by the celebrated Parisian fair-grounds showman Jean-Baptiste Nicolet as the Théâtre de Nicolet, ou des Grands Danseurs. The company was invited to perform for the royal court of Louis XV in 1772 and thereafter took the name of Grands-Danseurs du Roi. However, with the fall of the monarchy and the founding of the First French Republic in 1792, the name was changed to the less politically risky Théâtre de la Gaîté. The company's theatre on the boulevard du Temple was replaced in 1764 and 1808, and again in 1835 due to a fire. As a result of Haussmann's renovation of Paris, the company relocated to a new theatre on the rue Papin in 1862, and the 1835 theatre (pictured) was subsequently demolished.
Read more about Théâtre De La Gaîté (boulevard Du Temple): Nicolet Moves From The Fair To The Boulevard, Nicolet's First Boulevard Theatre, Salle Des Grands Danseurs, Toussaint-Gaspard Taconet, Turco and Other Attractions, Audinot, Les Grands-Danseurs Du Roi, Théâtre De La Gaîté, Move To The Rue Papin, See Also, References