A state legislature is a legislative branch or body of a political subdivision in a federal system.
The following legislatures exist in the following political subdivisions:
- The legislative branches of each of the fifty state governments of the United States are known as state legislatures. Six territorial legislatures also exist.
- The legislative branches of the six states of Australia are known as state parliaments. In addition, two territorial parliaments exist.
- The legislative branches of the States of Brazil.
- The legislative branches of the States of India Vidhan Sabha and Vidhan Parishad.
- The legislative branches of the ten provinces of Canada are known as provincial legislative assemblies. Three territorial legislatures also exist.
- The legislative branches of the thirteen states of Malaysia are known as the state assemblies.
- The legislative branches of the sixteen states of Germany and the nine states of Austria are known as the Landtag.
- The central legislative body of any country that refers to itself by the term "state".
Other articles related to "states, state, state legislature":
... George Ariyoshi became the first Asian American governor in the United States when he was elected Governor of Hawaii in 1974 ... Larry Asera, first Filipino American elected in the continental United States Kumar Barve became the first Indian-American in U.S ... history elected to a state legislative body in 1990 and currently serves as the Majority Leader of the Maryland House of Delegates ...
... This is a list of the 57th Utah State Legislature Standing Committees and Appropriations Subcommittees ... The 57th Utah State Legislature began on Monday, January 15, 2007 ...
... Brynien said a major goal of his presidency would be to enhance PEF's legislative efforts in the state capital ... Brynien and the union confronted a state proposal to close or merge several state-owned hospitals and other health care facilities during his first year in office ... A state commission first proposed the plan in November 2006 ...
Famous quotes containing the words legislature and/or state:
“It seemed monstrous to our intolerant youth that poor white folksy men should have an equal right with gentlemen, born and bred, in deciding who should represent the county in the Legislature and the district in Congress.”
—Marion Harland (18301922)
“No state can build
A literature that shall at once be sound
And sad on a foundation of well-being.”
—Robert Frost (18741963)